Why is it that the fix-it shows, designers and big box shows don't mention the Radon Emissions from any use of granite?
While these groups seem high on this product, there doesn't seem to be any care for the end user.
I had granite counter tops installed in our kitchen (72 year old house) 3 years ago. No mention by the big box store about any potential health issues from its installation. Recently saw a show on the radon emission from granite. I decided to have a test performed on our counter top through a nationally recongnized company and the result was a reading of 3.4ppm. The scale says that you are OK if you are 3.9 or less. So, even though I'm below the "concern level," I'm still concerned.
I mentioned this to my son-in-law who just had a master bath remodeled with granite on walls, tub surround, shower stall and floors. He just today received his reading back and it was 8.4!
That reading means that 1 in 70,000 will contract lung cancer according to the EPA! Nice! No warning from any supplier or installer for them and their new baby!
So, the question is: what to do now?