+ Reply to Thread

Default How easy is it to change from a 100 amp to a 200 amp???

Hi, I am purchasing an older home. I am told the amps are still original and are 100 amps for the heating system (propane wall heaters). Can you please tell me how difficult would it be to change from 100 amps to a 200 amps? Also, attaching photos of current wall heater (there are 2 identical ones, one between master and 2nd bedroom, other in living area and kitchen in dividing wall on both) and the inside of the heater, what can you tell me about it? What should one do before firing it up? the house has been vacant for about 4 years. Thank you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RoaringSprings25.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	5.8 KB 
ID:	2052   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RoaringSprings19.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	2053  

Default Re: How easy is it to change from a 100 amp to a 200 amp???

I'm not sure why you want to update to a 200 amp service unless you are planning on installing electric heat. 100 amps should be more than adequate for most homes.
    But to answer you question it will depend on the existing wiring and the jurisdiction in which the house is located. In some you can just have the main panel installed, providing a 200 amp drop is already there, or you may also have to have the utility company provide a new drop also. In some jurisdictions an upgrade such as this would also require that all the rest of the wiring be brought up to current code. Only an inspection by a qualified electrician could determine the extent of work and material that would be required.

The wall furnaces- generally a cleaning and inspection to check condition of the heat exchanger, check for gas leaks and the condition of the flue is required or at least recommended.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Nicegirl, did you get the PM I sent you in answer to the question you messaged me.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I'm confused. Are you wanting to replace the heaters, the electrical panel, or both?
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.