+ Reply to Thread

Default Rail and Stile Panel Door questions

I have a 101 year old home that has many rail and stile doors in various states of disrepair. The previous occupant thought it was a smart idea to remove all the old hardware and leave the old holes and just put a new door knob set in above the original holes.

However, the issue I'm here with is that several of the panels in the doors are splitting. The panels are thin veneer and made up of three strips on either side. The vibrate when tapped with a finger so they do float. My question is has anyone removed the top section of the door and removed the veneer to then put in a frosted glass insert? I would like to use two doors for bathrooms to allow light through but still maintain privacy. BTW- the doors don't have stops that are nailed in holding the veneer in place.

Thanks.

K-

Default Re: Rail and Stile Panel Door questions

Actually the easiest thing to do is to remove the stop trim around the panel, install what you want and install new stops. A lot easier than disassembling the door. This can easily be done with a router and straight edge and/or a sharp chisel.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: Rail and Stile Panel Door questions

I should also point out that having removable stops will make it a lot easier if you ever break on the the lights you install in the door.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb