+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: crown molding

Default crown molding

Are there any "rules" on crown molding? I have dark paneled walls and a white/ off-white ceiling. I want my crown molding to be walnut to match the rest of the trim in the room and my boyfriend is telling me that the crown molding HAS to be the same color as the ceiling. Any thoughts would be appreciated

Default Re: crown molding

There is no "rule" with crown, you can do it either way or even use a differing color than the walls or ceiling. It all depends on the effects you're trying to create.

Same color as the walls will visually increase the height of the walls. Same color as the ceiling will visually lower the ceiling. Using a third, or accent, color will bring the crown out and make it more noticeable in and of itself. I've used all three methods with great success, it's all a matter of the effect you're trying to create.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

As A.Spruce mentioned, it doesn't have to match the ceiling or the walls for color. It's whatever you like to look at since it is your house. Just make sure not to install it upside down!

HA HA HA HA . I've just been reading about that on some of the other threads. I Don't suppose this stuff is marked "THIS SIDE UP" is it?

By The Way, Thanks for the input. I told J if I wanted to put hot pink up there (cringe), Hot pink it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by C Bryan View Post
    HA HA HA HA . I've just been reading about that on some of the other threads. I Don't suppose this stuff is marked "THIS SIDE UP" is it?
    In a way, yes. There is a cove profile along one edge of the crown, the cove edge is always the bottom.

And, no, I wouldn't recommend hot pink as a color.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Basically the most detailed side is the bottom and the planer side is the top.
    You can use hot pink but be warned it may cause others to question your character.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    actually sprucey, there is a one major rule

its called, if you want it done a certain way and you signifigant other wants it another. "stock the fridge with beer for him" to get your way
    Don't you start up with me!

Yes, that is a rule I'm familiar with. In this case, the technically correct method is detail down. That is not to say that I have not had requests for the opposite.

After you've been married as long as I, you'll know there is only one right way and that's "her way".
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Hey, Hey, Hey guys. Dare I open a can of worms. The bf doesn't really get a vote the house is mine. He gives his opinion (which he has plenty of), I check around and do what I want (or can afford)