+ Reply to Thread

Default Cold Water heater sometimes

I have about an 8 year old water heater. Sometimes it doesn't have hot water. If you turn on the hot water for a little bit and then shut it off for about 5-10 mins I will have lots of hot water.
    Does the heater need replaced? Thermostat?
    It's a natural gas heater.
    Thanks
    Ken

Default Re: Cold Water heater sometimes

This sounds like a problem that's fairly common with gas water heaters.

Try turning the thermostat (aquastat) on the heater either up or down about 5-10 degrees or so and see what happens. Often enough these aquastats will develop a "flat spot" after a while and when this happens.......the result is what you describe.

If this adjustment cures the problem, leave the aquastat setting alone for a couple weeks or so and then try turning it back where you originally had it. Odds are it will now respond properly again.

I'm afraid you are not suppling enough information. Does this usually happen after you've had hot water running and then you try to get hot water again?
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

It happens after it has sat for awhile. Seems to happen to the first person to take a shower. After that it's ok for the next person which happens about an hour later.
    Thanks
    Ken

Then ****hiller's post is the most likely solution.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb