+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How do I repair broken window?

Hi, I am buying an older home it has one broken window. The windows are aluminum, two panes across. And have a storm window which is fine. I have changed out several panes in the past on an older grid type window without any problem.
    This window however is boarded up and does not easily move up and down. Can I change out the pane like I did on my grid windows or...suggestion? Thanks.

Default Re: How do I repair broken window?

By "two pains across" do you mean the window is double paned, as in there is a pane of glass on the inside and a pane of glass on the outside?
    Installing a Residential Elevator or Hidden Content does not have to be complicated.

Can you post a picture for clarification?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Yes, some pictures would be helpful. Some aluminum frames you have to disassemble the frame to replace the glass.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Hi guys, me again. I have a photo of the window, hopefully I attached it correctly. Thank you! J
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RoaringSprings14.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	2051  

Oof! Tough to guess from that pic, but it looks like the windows are puttied in from the outside. Remove the putty and the glass (or plywood ) should come out with ease. Insert new glass, install new glazing compound (putty ). After the putty cures, prime and paint it.

Can you get a better shot of where the glass meets the frame? In particular, in the bottom of the picture above, there seems to be a gap in what looks to be glazing compound.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks. What about getting old stuck windows to move up and down easier? There are a couple of stuck ones. Would a shot of WD-40 on each side help or would that make them too messy?

Sticking sash windows are usually caused by multiple layers of paint, remove the paint layers and you get a free moving window. If these are aluminum sashes, the guides could be worn, the track bent, or the helper springs broken.

>> do you mean the window is double paned, as in there is a pane of glass on the inside and a pane of glass on the outside?

not to sidetrack, but I have a rather large picture window
    (52" x 70") that is double paned, and there is now a crack from bottom left side of window up to left side pane.

The crack traveled up from bottom and curved left. nothing "hit" the window, so am curious as to what may have happened. Window sits in an over hang, and house is waterfront - so the ground does heave during winter.

Tempted to leave "as is" since suspect its expensive to replace, and thus far the glass remains in tact. and no moisture appears in between the panes. curious as to options. too late to fill as they do with small cracks in windshields.

Quote Originally Posted by nicegirl40cheetos View Post
    Hi guys, me again. I have a photo of the window, hopefully I attached it correctly. Thank you! J
    J, it is really hard to tell from the pic. It looks to me like the wood is just caulked into place and the glass may be held in by a removable rubber strip.

You should be able to pick up some dry lubricant spray at your local hardware store. Not as messy as WD40.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb