+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: How do I repair broken window?

Quote Originally Posted by crylakel View Post
    >> do you mean the window is double paned, as in there is a pane of glass on the inside and a pane of glass on the outside?

not to sidetrack, but I have a rather large picture window
    (52" x 70") that is double paned, and there is now a crack from bottom left side of window up to left side pane.

The crack traveled up from bottom and curved left. nothing "hit" the window, so am curious as to what may have happened. Window sits in an over hang, and house is waterfront - so the ground does heave during winter.

Tempted to leave "as is" since suspect its expensive to replace, and thus far the glass remains in tact. and no moisture appears in between the panes. curious as to options. too late to fill as they do with small cracks in windshields.
    Double paned windows are made with two panes of glass and a perimeter seal, some are even filled with an inert glass. The double pane would have to be removed, the band removed, new glass, and a new band installed, and the cavity refilled with gas. Not a job for a DIYer.

Racking caused by settling or heaving is the usual cause for this type of break.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I agree with A. Spruce that although it is kind of hard to tell from the pic, it looks like you should be able to remove the caulk and put in a new piece of glass, kind of like you mentioned in your first post.
    Installing a Residential Elevator or Hidden Content does not have to be complicated.

> Racking caused by settling or heaving is the usual cause for this type of break.

Since this is waterfront property and prone to "heaving" because of the pressure of the frozen lake pushing on the shoreline, is there a suggestion for replacement windows?

Am I better off replacing this one large window, with smaller ones (though that will detract from view). This section of the house "overhangs" from the foundation - so window and outter wall juts out.

Is there a vendor out there that has a special rack-proof window for this kind of situation?

Quote Originally Posted by crylakel View Post
    > Racking caused by settling or heaving is the usual cause for this type of break.

Since this is waterfront property and prone to "heaving" because of the pressure of the frozen lake pushing on the shoreline, is there a suggestion for replacement windows?

Am I better off replacing this one large window, with smaller ones (though that will detract from view). This section of the house "overhangs" from the foundation - so window and outter wall juts out.

Is there a vendor out there that has a special rack-proof window for this kind of situation?
    As far as I know, there is no manufacturer that makes residential windows that are structural and won't be affected by racking. Windows that are installed with a flange would be less susceptible to racking but not rack proof. Have you considered a hanging storm window? That is one that hangs on hooks rather than being fastened all the way around? Like the old style wood storms.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb