+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Peeling Paint on Plaster Walls

Our old house has plaster walls that were painted , by a previous owner, with cheap paint that is now peeling off in TINY chips. We would like to resurface the walls using a product that adheres as a sticky mesh and then is skim coated with plaster. How the heck do we get the old paint off of the walls so the new plaster will adhere? We have tried scraping, sand paaper, and an expensive product that was supposed to pull the paint off in big sections using a gloppy substance and paper. None of them worked as the room is very large. HELP!

Default Re: Peeling Paint on Plaster Walls

If you have already removed most of the paint by sanding scrapins and paint remover you should be ready to skim.
    Step number one would be to make sure that the paint remover used does not require a neutralizer.
    Than proceed with a lime based plaster skim coat.
    My prefference would be on the following order,
    (1)Master of Plaster no bonding agent required apply straight from the shipping pail.
    (2) American Clay Plaster, a bonding agent required as directed by American Clay.
    (3) Litex Venetian Plaster,make sure you select the lime based material
    (4)Atova Venetian Plaster make sure it is the lime based and not the Synthetic based plaster.
    No mesh would be required with the above products, but maybe approved by the manufacture

Smile Re: Peeling Paint on Plaster Walls

Quote Originally Posted by Lois MacMillan View Post
    Our old house has plaster walls that were painted , by a previous owner, with cheap paint that is now peeling off in TINY chips. We would like to resurface the walls using a product that adheres as a sticky mesh and then is skim coated with plaster. How the heck do we get the old paint off of the walls so the new plaster will adhere? We have tried scraping, sand paaper, and an expensive product that was supposed to pull the paint off in big sections using a gloppy substance and paper. None of them worked as the room is very large. HELP!
    Well here I am 4 months later with the answer to my own question. If you have paint peeling off of a plaster wall and can't sc**** it all off, there is a product called Gardz by Zinnser that you can paint over the walls. You still have to sc**** off the really loose stuff, and it bonds the peeling paint to the plaster walls. Do NOT and I repeat, do NOT use paint remover on plaster walls. This Gardz product is about $35 dollars a gallon, but 2 gallons was enough to do a very large room. You can get it at Sherwin Williams paint stores. It is very thin and you need to cover your floors because it splatters very easily. I highly reccommend it for the job. It saved me from bubbled up plaster over peeling paint.