+ Reply to Thread
    ksc17 Guest

Default ventless air conditioner

is there any option on the market for an air conditioning unit that can cool one room that does not require a split unit, a window vent or any other duct work. i currently have central air but would like to have the option to cool my bedroom even more.

Default Re: ventless air conditioner

You have to have some venting to get rid of the heat. Check these Portable units that only need a flexible vent about the size of a dryer vent.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

To add to JLMCDANIEL's post if you already have central air then you shouldn't need a second portable air conditioner.

There are some variables that come into play such as solar gain, supply air ducting and return air ducting.

If there is too much direct sun at peak times then adding an awning or closing the window coverings will help reduce solar gain.

It may very well be the ducting for that room is inadequate to provide enough supply cubic feet per minute (CFM) of air. The return air ducting may not exist or blocked off. In bedrooms I've seen furniture placed in front of the cold air return vent in effect blocking it off or restricting it's purpose.

I face this situation currently with two rooms ... one faces due east and the other faces due west.... they receive peak solar gain. The home is in the process of renovation and eventually things like insulation upgrade and new HVAC will be done .

As an interim solution I added awnings and close the window coverings which helped reduce the temperatures by about 1 1/2 degrees. The other interim solution was to have an inexpensive table fan running circulating the cool air in the room. In my case with the supply air vents located at floor level the fans are placed at that level angled upward to help with circulating the cool air and of course ensuring the return vents were not obstructed. This was especially helpful in the bedroom where there is a lot of things like furniture, the bed that impedes the air circulation. Doing these two things had helped bring the temperature down by about 2 1/2 to 3 degrees in these rooms.

Food for thought.

I'm sensing from your post you are looking for a way to regulate temperature in your bedroom on demand. There is no easy or cheap way of doing this. Any portable A/C I know of requires venting to outside air. My suggestion would be a fan. Either ceiling mounted or portable. Gives the option of increasing or decreasing air flow, thus cooling more or less, on
    demand. Make sure all system air returns are unobstructed.

1.An alturnative is to cool the room by increasing existing A/C
    supply air flow, to that room. (You will not have on demand control).
    If your a/c system was never 'balanced' have a professional do it, emphasizing your desire to increase the bedroom flow as much as possible without sacrificing the rest of the house cooling. Your option!

2.Try looking at the supply duct, at the trunk line. If there is a damper in the duct run, open it to full open (if it is not, already). The damper handle should be parrallel with the duct,(Length wise). While you are in the area of the duct run check it for tears (flexible tube),obstructions to air flow, crushed sections or valleys. Make sure the duct is fully connected to all system parts and air tight. Make sure any taped joint is secure. This applies to metal duct as well.

3.Make sure the bedroom supply register, damper, is fully open.
    (If the room is isolated from the return air duct a closed
    door can effect the CFM flow for that room).

4.Afer any adjustments to the system, check the rest of the house to estimate adequate air distribution/balance.

5.There are thermostatically controlled air dampers available. Recommend professional consulting and installation.

6.Try the advice of the other responders if my suggestions fail... Good luck, stay cool.