+ Reply to Thread

Default Tapping in the wall--is it an electrical problem?

My house was built in the 1890s, but was almost totally gutted and rewired, etc. There are a few parts of the house that were not gutted and this may be where my problem begins.

I noticed this morning a loud rhythmic tapping/ticking sound from behind the wall in my livingroom. It is an interior wall and the sound was about 4 feet up the wall. I could also feel the tapping. I hit the wall to see if it was an animal or something, but it continued. There are no water pipes in that area.

For some added info: I noticed at the time that my washer was in the spin cycle in a different room (20 feet away). I unplugged everything in the outlet closest to the tapping and it did not stop immediately, but probably a minute later, which was also at the same time the washer completed its cycle. I re-plugged everything back into the outlet, no tapping. I ran the washer again, no tapping. It was about 4 hours ago and nothing since.

Any thoughts? Does this sound like a wire arcing or some electrical issue?

Default Re: Tapping in the wall--is it an electrical problem?

Does this wall face the sun? could just be expansion with the warming of the wall. Is there anything leaning against the house in this area?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Most likely just vibration from the washer. Sound travels through a structure.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

It's an interior wall with nothing, but another wall on the other side. I don't think the sun could really affect the area either.

The washer is on the other side of the house so I'm not sure how it could make something vibrate that strongly in that one spot.
    Last edited by sarah1615; 10-09-2010 at 02:43 PM.

UPDATE:
    Well, it was vibration from the washing machine! That's so weird! I ran a big load of laundry again and there is a picture on the wall that I could see vibrating a little. When I put my hand on the wall I could feel it too.

Thanks for the suggestions. Glad it wasn't anything electrical!