+ Reply to Thread

Default Brick & Block 1940's home heating problems

What to do?? My son has a small 1100 square foot 2 story home in western PA that was built in the mid 1940's that is heated with a gas boiler hot water radiator heat. He keeps the temperature setting at 60 degerees and still gets $500.00 gas bills. The only other appliance that is gas is the hot water tank which is about 4 years old and set just above warm. Recently at our request the gas company performed a gas audit and said that 60% of heat was probably going up his chimney and that he should replace the gas boiler which is from the late 1950's or early 1960's. The boiler input is 127,500 and the output is 102,000 BTU's. The water output is 88,000. It seems oversized for the house but his home is built of brick exterior against concrete block,with out any space for insulation as the plaster is directly against the block which means no way to insulate the walls. We recently added R30 and R38 attic insulation which thought would help more but still getting really high bills plus his walls are stone cold all the time. It seems to me the radiant heat from the radiators is being sucked out through the cold block/brick walls. Does anyone know what heat source would be better? Should be replace the boiler or switch to gas forced air heat? Both will cost about the same but the gas forced air furnace has a higher efficiency rating than the boiler at this price. Also investing money in a new boiler means being stuck with the old radiators that I fear my become a problem later on. Then there is the topic of A/C which can't be added to boiler/radiator heat. Does anyone have any suggestions that will result in reducing these heating costs and increasing the comfort level of this cold block box of a home?

Default Re: Brick & Block 1940's home heating problems

I have the exact same issue except my heating system broke on 1/23/09. See my post dated today. My number is 724-678-5658.

Default Re: Brick & Block 1940's home heating problems

I think insulating is the best first approach. You can furr the walls and insulate or possibly inject foam into the block.
    Either way is a lot of work. The furring could be DIY, the foam by a pro.