+ Reply to Thread

Default hole in ground near septic

About one year ago, I found my lab digging furiously in my backyard. After inspecting the hole, I found that he was digging by the septic tank and that the ground underneath was gone. I bought about 5 bags of dirt and filled in the hole. I just assumed that because my sprinkler system had been broken, that the clayish dirt had shrunk and it was no big deal. I now have the sprinkler system repaired. However, last week I found my lab had dug another small hole on the side of my home. I got the shovel and was prepared to cover the hole up until I got closer and realized that the hole went down very deep. Probably about 3 feet. I went and got a flash light and could see that he had just uncover a sink hole. There was standing water in the ground and it smelled like sulphur. From what I have read, this must be the leach field? My boys have been home from college this month and have been showering, washing clothes and I have been running the dishwasher more than normal. I have been told to fill the hole with pea gravel and then dirt. Should I be looking for broken pipe, or is it normal for water to seep into the ground from the septic system? I don't have any backup in the house and there is no smell coming from the pipes inside. I don't use my disposal and I rarely use bleach. But there has been alot of water usage this month. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Right now I have the fence closed off to the BIG HOLE. I would say it is 3 feet deep and about four foot across both ways. It's not a small hole. My guess is that my dog was digging because of the smell. I was shocked when I saw the hole! HELP!

Default Re: hole in ground near septic

Usually a sink hole is caused by a colapsed tile if you have clay tiles. the holes in PVC piping can also carry away dirt is it wasn't prperly covered abd a drain cloth installed.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I did have my sprinkler system worked on about six months ago. I noticed that my water bill shot up over a three month period. I believe I was using 20-30,000 gallons of water. Called the sprinkler guy and told him that the sprinkler was turned off at the panel, so the sprinklers weren't coming on however, still having huge water bill. So I turned off sprinklers at the ground turnoff. Bill went down to normal after that. Talked to someone today that said if that much water was shooting out of the sprinkler line it could possible create a big crater like that underground. I am about to turn the water back on to the sprinkler and see if I can see any water coming out. Does that make sense? The hole is right next to where the sprinkler lines are.

Yes underground water leaks can carry tons of soil away.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb