+ Reply to Thread

Thread: frozen drain

Default frozen drain

It has been below freezing here for 2 weeks.
    When my washer spins out the water comes up in shower,kitchen sink,bathroom sink & toilet.
    All of these are on the first floor.
    I put a heater in the basement to try to melt the (big)main drain pipe but It hasn't helped yet.
    Any suggestions??Please.
    Is it possible that the freeze is in the big pipe underground,outside of my house where it goes into the towns system?
    I am at the end of my rope.
    This is driving me crazy!!

Default Re: frozen drain

It is quite likely the line is frozen between the outlet from the house and the main.Prolonged freezing weather probably has lowered your frost line deeper than usual .You don't mention where you live but I assume that two weeks of freezing is unusual for your area.Open the cleanout closest to where it leaves your home and run a little water down a drain, if it comes out there then obviously the freeze is between your home and the street.If that is the case try renting a sewer machine from your local home center and run it from your cleanout to the street.
    One cannot have a battle of wits with an unarmed manHidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by sheraeb View Post
    It has been below freezing here for 2 weeks.
    When my washer spins out the water comes up in shower,kitchen sink,bathroom sink & toilet.
    All of these are on the first floor.
    I put a heater in the basement to try to melt the (big)main drain pipe but It hasn't helped yet.
    Any suggestions??Please.
    Is it possible that the freeze is in the big pipe underground,outside of my house where it goes into the towns system?
    I am at the end of my rope.
    This is driving me crazy!!
    I would start with augering out the main line. Drain lines even if not buried below frost line should not freeze. They should never have standing waste water in them. If they do there has to be a problem. Good luck

Hi & thanks for your comments....
    But I hate to say I finally had a
    plumber come as I couldn't take it anymore.
    It turns out there were massive clogs of roots.
    They worked from inside for hours then told me they
    said they needed to dig up my yard to replace pipes
    to solve the problem.
    $1,500 later...it is draining well now but they told
    me the worst pipe is under my deck where they couldn't dig.
    They want me to cut down a tree by the deck and either
    tear down my deck or hand dig to get into this part & then they will replace what needs.
    Is there anything I can put down the drain to eat at the roots and keep it open?
    If I cut down the tree will the roots die & stop creeping into the pipe?
    I am just so frustrated.
    Please give me any ideas you've got.
    Thanks again.

Generally the type of pipe used has a great deal to do with keeping roots out. Solid PVC with glued joints are good the old clay section pipes had gaps and were very vulnerable to root intrusion. The kind if tree is also a factor. For instance a willow will almost always find water.

If the line is open now it may be possible to have it lined without digging it up.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Or you might want to go to a place like Harbor Freight and buy an inexpensive electric snake and clean it out periodically yourself.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb