+ Reply to Thread

Default well pump question

Like everyone else the artic blast hit us this last weekend. Even with all the precautions our water pump froze solid. we got it unfrozen; it cycles, doesn't leak, we have running water in the house both hot and cold. The problem is the pressure gauge. The pump normally comes on at 40. The pump has been coming on at 56 and cutting off at 70 and seems to hold a steady pressure. I don't think any water is going in the reservoir tank at all. if this was still frozen would it cause the high reading? Is it OK to run the pump so the kids and I can at least get showers? The motor is not getting hot at all. Any help would be appreciated.

Default Re: well pump question

holsworth,

Are you describing a jet-pump? I'm imaging so because you say it doesn't get hot and therefore you must be laying your hand on it. ??? (Couldn't do that with a submersible)

Where is the pump located? Inside the house somewhere or out in a well pit?

How about the pressure tank? House, well-pit or ????

What makes you think no water is going into the pressure tank? Pump is short cycling, maybe?

If things froze up, I wouldn't be surprised if the pressure gauge is toast (inaccurate now)......and will need to be replaced.

Its a 100 year old house and they built a little pump house outside, looks like mini shed. I don't think any water is going into the tank because the pump is only cycling for a short time and it sounds hollow when I tap on it. The water pressure inside the house is the same as before it froze. I did crawl under the house and don't see any puddles or drips from the pipes thankfully. I assume calling a plumber to replace the gauge would be the next step?? Sorry for sounding for stupid but the husband is working out of state right now and I don't know much about country living. Thanks for your help.

The bladder tank will sound hollow if you tap the top half, that half should only be filled with air. I would guess your bladder tank is still partly full of ice, if it was completely blocked the pump would kick on and off rapidly and your water would be pulsating out of the faucet. The freezing may have damage your pressure gauge and it may not be reading correctly. As long as the pump is not short cycling(rapid on and off) you should still be able to use it and as it pumps more and more water through it should melt any remaining ice. It's a good idea to have a heat lamp in the well house when the temperature drops below freezing.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

thank you. It is not pulsating and only kicks on when the gauge hits 56(?). It is nice to know I can use it. We do have a light in the pump house but only a regular spot light. Would a red heating bulb be better? I also have put a space heater in there last night and today. I'm in east TN and the spot light has held us the last three years till now.

Well its been a little unusual this winter. A heat lamp outputs radiant heat that would heat the bladder tank, pump, plumbing, etc.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb