+ Reply to Thread

Default Interior Stain question

I have a question regarding interior stains. We've been in the process of changing out the basic stained woodwork for custom woodwork as we slowly paint room by room. We've been using a gel stain that is labeled as "teak". It's got a nice warm tone but tends to be on the orange side. As one grows and tastes change, I've started to add a darker color to the mix for a richer darker tone. Right now, I'm accomplishing this with 2 coats of the gel stain (teak) and two coats of Minwax's dark walnut. The combination of the two types of stain is creating a really long drying period, which is slowing down the process. Does anyone know of a company that can create a custom stain that I can use to get the color I want and hopefully reduce the coats applied and drying time? Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

Default Re: Interior Stain question

I would use the Old Masters interior wiping stain. You can mix different colors together, as well as different kinds (Old Master's gel stain can be mixed with Old Master's wiping stain). Your local retailer should be able to match the color you want.

Also, the stain accepts colorants, making the colors easy to change. Once you have a color you like, make sure you have enough PLUS EXTRA incase of touch-up or if the wood soaks up more than you thought it would. This way, your color will always be the same.

Not only is Old Masters easy to work with, but it also has amazing performance! I have been extremely satisfied with their product!