+ Reply to Thread

Default Tub Diverter Leak

My tub diverter is leaking while the shower is off. I replaced the diverter and it is still leaking. I took the diverter off and see that the copper pipe that is coming out of the wall has a steady stream of water coming out of it while the shower is off. What can be done to stop the leaking?

Default Re: Tub Diverter Leak

Sounds like it's time to rebuild the valve(s). Is this a single or dual handle valve, approximate age, brand? The diverter, is it on the tub spout?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

The diverter is in the tub, the hot/cold knob is a single. The diverter has been replaced but a leak still exists. You mentioned it might be time to replace the valves, is that a diy job?

Ok, so you have a single handled valve with a diverter on the tub spout to engage the shower, correct?

All the diverter does is change the direction of the water flow from the tub spout to the shower head, and rarely do these not leak while the tub is in use. If water is still coming out of the tub spout after the hot/cold valve has been turned off, then the problem is in the hot/cold. Being a single lever valve, it is either going to have a couple of springs and rubber cups in it OR it will have a cartridge. After identifying the brand of valve (Delta, Moen, etc.) you can do two things, one, go to the hardware store and purchase a couple different rebuild kits, OR, disassemble the valve and take the parts with you. Before disassembling the valve you must first turn off the water at the water main where it enters the house.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!