+ Reply to Thread

Default Crack in ceiling

I have had a crack in a ceiling in the middle of my raised ranch house for about 15 years. I have replastered it on several occassions, only to have the crack return, typically sometime in winter. I am considering going in the attic to brace the drywall with wood backers between the joists and then screw the cracked sections of the drywall into the backer and re-plaster. Before I crawl up into the attic, I thought I would post the question for any other options.

Thanks

Default Re: Crack in ceiling

You ask a great question! The crack is reappearing because the plaster has become detached from the lath. The best way to fix the crack permanently is to use a plaster adhesive to "glue" the plaster back into place.

This old house did a great episode about plaster repair that should answer all your questions (also check out the TOH article)

The manufacturer of the plaster adhesive that was featured also has some interesting information.

Default Re: Crack in ceiling

Thanks for the reply and I did see that particular episode of Ask This Old Hous.

I was unclear in my original post. I actually have drywall in my house....not plaster. Again, any other suggestions before I crawl up into my crawlspace attic?

Thanks