+ Reply to Thread

Default refacing kitchen cabinets

I have a manufactured home. Built in 2000. Kitchen cabinets are cheaper cabinets. Look like white with wood-grain plastic, or veneer. How do we reface these cabinets?

Default Re: refacing kitchen cabinets

Refacing cabinets means replacing the doors and drawer fronts; if you don't like the drawer boxes or slides, it also means replacing those. So that's how. My mom refaced hers through a place called the Drawer Depot; their site is at drawerbuilder dot com, and they were great to work with, and amazingly inexpensive. My mom's new doors/fronts/boxes/slides are fantastic, really high quality.

But my mom's cabinet boxes were made of wood. The problem with refacing, when there is a problem, is getting the new doors and drawer fronts to match the boxes. If your boxes are particle board with plastic veneer over it, they're not worth refacing--you would need to remove all the veneer, put something paintable (i.e. not plastic) in its place, paint it, and then paint the new doors and drawer fronts to match. In that case it would probably make more sense to just go get some inexpensive wood (not particle board, not plastic veneer) cabinets at Ikea. You can either get Ikea doors and drawer fronts or just get the Ikea boxes and finish them out with stuff from the Drawer Depot or whoever you prefer.

If you peel back the plastic and see that what's underneath is smooth wood (solid or plywood), NOT particle board, then you're in a much better situation. You just take the veneer off, then paint the boxes and paint the new doors and fronts to match.

Default Re: refacing kitchen cabinets

There are also cheap ways to get new ones -- if it's in your budget. It may be a worthwhile investment, since plastic and mdf won't last too long.