+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Plumbing

Default Plumbing

I live in the mid west.My water supply is from a well which contains large amounts of rust,This rust causes me to remove the magnesium rod from my hot watertank to prolong the life of the tank.The 75 gallon tank doesnot give me an ample amount of hot water.Iwant to install a tankless waterheater,but I have heard that they will not work with well water.What shall I do?

Default Re: Plumbing

Quote Originally Posted by bigbiffjr View Post
    I live in the mid west.My water supply is from a well which contains large amounts of rust,This rust causes me to remove the magnesium rod from my hot watertank to prolong the life of the tank.The 75 gallon tank doesnot give me an ample amount of hot water.Iwant to install a tankless waterheater,but I have heard that they will not work with well water.What shall I do?
    Confused. Your well casing is rusting and needs replacement or your water has a high iron content? If the former, replace it, if the latter, filter or pre-treatment system!

75 gal water tank or heater (electric or fuel fired?) cannot keep up with your usage demands? Is this a single family home?

Filtering and treating the water would be my first priority. Unless you have a very large family or take very long showers a 75 gal. tank should be more than adequate. Removing the magnesium rod does not prevent sediment build up in the tank which could be your major problem.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

If you have high rust/sediment content in your water, you should flush your water heater at least annually. If you open the drain on the tank and only get a trickle, your tank may already be partly filled with sediment.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Hope I'm not too late to jump in on this one. I have well water here at my home in New Hampshire and have an electric Titan tankless. It runs without any problems and provides great hot water. And believe me, the well water is cold! As for the rust, I use a whole house filter placed right at the expansion tank to cut down on the rust/red water.
    Ray
    rjdudley55

Hidden Content