+ Reply to Thread

Default Call for hot water / oil furnace problem

NOTE: I also posted this in the heating forum. Not sure which is most appropriate.

Hi Folks,

New homeowner here. We have a 20+ year-old oil furnace with no separate water tank. Steam radiators throughout the house. I'm guessing there's a coil or something inside that heats the water. It fires (in theory) whenever we need hot water. Recently the call for hot water from our shower is no longer triggering the furnace to fire up. I've found a work-around when we need to shower, and that is to kick my thermostat up a couple degrees, which quickly causes the furnace to fire up, and then we enjoy our scorching hot water in the shower. Why won't our shower trigger the furnace? Who should we contact (the oil man? plumber?) to look into this?

Thanks,
    Jeff

Default Re: Call for hot water / oil furnace problem

Quote Originally Posted by jmberg View Post
    NOTE: I also posted this in the heating forum. Not sure which is most appropriate.

Hi Folks,

New homeowner here. We have a 20+ year-old oil furnace with no separate water tank. Steam radiators throughout the house. I'm guessing there's a coil or something inside that heats the water. It fires (in theory) whenever we need hot water. Recently the call for hot water from our shower is no longer triggering the furnace to fire up. I've found a work-around when we need to shower, and that is to kick my thermostat up a couple degrees, which quickly causes the furnace to fire up, and then we enjoy our scorching hot water in the shower. Why won't our shower trigger the furnace? Who should we contact (the oil man? plumber?) to look into this?

Thanks,
    Jeff
    Whomever you'd contact to service your boiler system. Who performed preventitive maintenance and tuning before the beginning of the heating season for you? You may find this web site helpful (start with the systems tab): http://www.heatinghelp.com