+ Reply to Thread

Thread: deck gate

Hybrid View

Default deck gate

I was wanting to know the best way to build a gate at the top of my stairs to my deck.

Default Re: deck gate

Totally depends on the design of the structure and the intended purpose. More info and pictures required.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I built one for my own house out of treated 2x4's with 2x2 pickets and put a 2x4 flat on top.
    I used screws to hold it together. Also a diagonal 2x2 within the 2x4 frame to keep it from sagging. I screwed the pickets to the diagonal too. I used epoxy at the stiles and rails and diagonal.
    Run the stiles up like a door. I hung it with some common gate hardware from the hardware store.
    That was at least 10 years ago and it's doing fine except for a little rust on the hardware.

build it so to match the handrail of the deck, and hang it off the handrail posts.. use stainless steel hardware it wont react with the acq lumber via galvonic corrosion.. i.e pressure treated lumber slowly eats galvanized fasteners

if doing a diagonal brace have it so the top end is on the opposite side from the hinges then runs down toward the bottom hinge, it will transfer the weight of the gate to the bottom making it less likely to pull away from the post
    fire up the saw and make some dust