+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Concord Cottage: Norm's sliding windows

I am working on a similar project as Norm built for the kitchen for the Concord, MA cottage project in 2003-04. I'm wondering if anyone knows what type of track & rollers (bottom mounted, I believe) Norm used for the 2 sliding windows and where they might be available?

Thanks for any assistance!

Default Re: Concord Cottage: Norm's sliding windows

First I'll link you to a follow-up article from TOH Magazine which was after the project was completed. For whatever reason they do not link this first article from the Project page: http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/arti...5211-2,00.html
    (See Page 5 for Andersen Windows reference and contact information for the Architect "Cratsley").
    Quote Originally Posted by TOH Making Every Inch Count in a Small House Page 2
    Cratsley's solution was to split the floor plan down the middle. In one half she grouped all the small but essential spaces — entrance foyer, coat closet, half bath, stairwell, and boiler room (since there's no basement). The other half is an integrated kitchen and dining room, the two areas separated by an archway and a half wall topped with sliding windows that lend visual interest to the area while subtly connecting the two rooms with light.

"An open plan is the best way to give the illusion of more space," says Cratsley. So to further avoid a "rabbit warren" effect, she specified pocket doors for the transition from the dining room to the new living room addition. "Most of the time the doors will be open — and invisible," she says. The doors also add flexibility, allowing the living room to double as an extra bedroom.
    Interior Design for a Small Home (Feature Article linked from the Project Overview Page) http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/arti...7620-2,00.html :
    Quote Originally Posted by TOH Interior Design for a Small Home
    Holly Cratsley of Nashawtuc Architects designed a space plan that took advantage of every centimeter allowed by the Concord zoning rules; she created an interior layout on two floors that could be converted to a single-story apartment should Jackie prefer that later. Interior designer Tricia McDonagh of Charles Spada Interiors took an efficient and well-designed space plan and turned it into a beautiful, comfortable, and workable home. Starting from the architect's layout, McDonagh took the raw shape of the cottage and transformed it into a real home, with detailed drawings and plans for everything from the doorways and entry flooring to the kitchen cabinets and furniture upholstery.

"Tricia is the one who pulled it all together," says Janet Bernard. "We wanted it to have an overall feeling of elegance and simplicity, very home-like. The first thing we did was work with the architectural elements; in Tricia's first attack at the space she made the doorways into arches, and she separated the kitchen from the dining room with glass windows."

"For example, the basic layout showed the kitchen open to the dining room, in a relatively modern design. McDonagh separated the two rooms with a wall of windows. "The trend toward open kitchen/dining room plans is okay if you have kids and you need to keep an eye on them," she says, "but it's gone a little too far. Separating the rooms made the kitchen warmer, and now the dining room can be a separate space. This way you can make it as formal or informal as you need." McDonagh also enclosed the entry foyer into a defined space instead of allowing the front door to open into the main room of the house."
    Found Gallery links for the windows. Look to right of the picture in this link (kitchen view): http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/tv/h...7496-1,00.html
    and see this second link from dining room view (see windows on left of photo), and read description: http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/tv/h...7498-0,00.html

Perhaps this link might help (from materials and supply pages for the project): http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/tv/p...463591,00.html

Interior Sliding Windows
    Supplier:
    J&C Adams
    75 New Street
    Cambridge, MA 02138
    tel. 800-446-0303
    http://www.jcadams.com

From the projects supply pages choose Windows, J&C Adams also represents other window manufacturers besides Andersen, I don't recall their saying at the time (haven't seen shows in a while) using a different manufacturer, but may have. I recall something about Norm working on re-installing the original sliding exterior barn doors on the exterior for "looks" might have been something I read, but didn't recall who installed interior sliding windows thought it was Tom's crew couldn't say for sure now, its been too long since I've seen the shows

Double Hung, Casement, Awning Windows
    Model: Woodwright
    Product featured:
    Andersen® 400 Series Woodwright[TM], casement, and awning windows
    Andersen® 400 Series skylight
    Andersen® 400 Series Frenchwood® patio doors and sidelights
    [P] All units with Forest Green exterior, white interior, satin nickel hardware (except skylight EMDASH Terratone color with natural wood interior) [P] Some windows and doors feature Andersen[TM] Divided Light grilles
    Manufacturer:
    Andersen Corporation

Sorry, its been so long since I saw the Concord Cottage series, and I've long since recycled my old TOH Mags. There were a LOT of changes made on that project between concept and final finish - was hard to keep track of everything. I know from the gallery pages the pocket doors were between living room/dining room not dinning room/kitchen. I just can't remember anymore if we saw two or three panel opening when the coping was being done, there may have been a fixed window panel with two operable, or just two window panels, only one operable. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Blue RidgeParkway; 01-16-2009 at 12:14 PM.

Default Re: Concord Cottage: Norm's sliding windows

***! Thanks for all the info. I ran through some of this previously when I checked out the products/suppliers for that TV project.

Actually, for these interior kitchen sliding windows (located next to the kitchen sink), Norm Abram actually built these in the New Yankee Workshop for the Concord Cottage project. There are 4 rectangular windows (installed vertically) with 2 windows in fixed position and the two middle windows are movable.

I am hoping to find the bottom-mounted track that Norm used and whatever type of rollers used as well.

Any ideas if any other sub-board has this info?