+ Reply to Thread

Default old plaster - repair or replace?

Recently moved into old house with plaster/lathe walls. Some parts of it are in bad shape. Previous owners did the cottage cheese thing to improve the look. Is there pros/cons to replacing vs. repairing the plaster walls? We would much rather find a way to repair them. Is there some good advice out there on how to do this?

Default Re: old plaster - repair or replace?

IMHO, plaster is far supperior to drywall and with modern products and techneques repair has become easier.

I would suggest you start with this article http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/arti...628100,00.html which referances this product http://www.plastermagic.com/

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: old plaster - repair or replace?

Quote Originally Posted by esr102399 View Post
    Recently moved into old house with plaster/lathe walls. Some parts of it are in bad shape. Previous owners did the cottage cheese thing to improve the look. Is there pros/cons to replacing vs. repairing the plaster walls? We would much rather find a way to repair them. Is there some good advice out there on how to do this?
    Item number one would be to check to find out what the value of your house would be if the plaster is repaired and retained versus removal and installing drywall?
    If the house is in a HISTORICAL area you may need permission to remove it?
    I would say keep the plaster.
    If the plaster is over wood lath than the plastermagic (big wally) product will work very well as for the artical on the repair i use the plaster washers and skim over with veneer plaster works well and washer do not show through.
    If plaster is on metal lath or Rock lath PLASTERMAGIC will not work.
    As for the cottage cheese texture use a plaster tool called an angle plane to remove high spots before skimming smooth.