+ Reply to Thread

Default Floors still squeeking

Once again I tune into ATOH and what do I see, but another demo of the kit that stops squeaky floors.
    Tommy looks down and say, "I'm pretty sure there's a joist right here" and proceeded to drill right into the joist. Sure works great on TV. Wish I could do that.
    Problem is, I bought the kit, and after much searching, found a joist. I drilled down and sure enough the joist was there. I sunk a screw, broke it off and the floor still squeaked.
    As I knew the directions the joists were laid, I measured over 16 inches, drilled down and no joist. I move an inch or so to the left, and no joist. I move an inch or so to the right, no joist. Thinking I may have been mistaken in the joist direction, I measured 16 inches from the first screw 90 degrees from the last try. Once again the same problem.
    I can't find the d*mn joists. (yes I am frustrated).
    I am contemplating pulling the whole carpet up so I can see what I'm doing and once and for all eliminating these annoying d*mn squeaks.
    What, if anything, am I doing wrong?

Default Re: Floors still squeeking

hi, rob. i seen your s.o.s. just an opinion .sometimes not all joist are 16on center they could be 24inch on center try that from where you put your first screw in and and measure 24 to left or right .if you did hit your joist with that first screw ,but floor is still squeeking try a longer screw maybe 3 inch you could have a underlayment on top of your sub floor and your just not getting it in all the way ,also from that first screw put another one about 1 inch up from that and one down from the first to see if that stops the squuek you might have needed more than one screw.if yuor still having trouble locating the joist try looking in a different area of your house maybe a closet that has carpet that you can pull up to check or some other part of the home.from the exterior wall of your home start there and measure 16,24,maybe even 14-15 inch and try a screw there and if you succeed in that then take your measurements from there to where the squueks are .good luck .
    Last edited by tylersway; 01-16-2009 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Burns View Post
    Once again I tune into ATOH and what do I see, but another demo of the kit that stops squeaky floors.
    Tommy looks down and say, "I'm pretty sure there's a joist right here" and proceeded to drill right into the joist. Sure works great on TV. Wish I could do that.
    Problem is, I bought the kit, and after much searching, found a joist. I drilled down and sure enough the joist was there. I sunk a screw, broke it off and the floor still squeaked.
    As I knew the directions the joists were laid, I measured over 16 inches, drilled down and no joist. I move an inch or so to the left, and no joist. I move an inch or so to the right, no joist. Thinking I may have been mistaken in the joist direction, I measured 16 inches from the first screw 90 degrees from the last try. Once again the same problem.
    I can't find the d*mn joists. (yes I am frustrated).
    I am contemplating pulling the whole carpet up so I can see what I'm doing and once and for all eliminating these annoying d*mn squeaks.
    What, if anything, am I doing wrong?
    Sometimes a joist will be closer spacing. Near stairs, open spans, etc. you'll have built-up joists, beams, etc. you might have hit one of these areas or an intersection of framing members for example - you'd have to look for clues below for the framing, possibly some clues from the area above, looking at the overall configuration of the home will offer clues, or work backwards from your failed pilot hole towards the one you think you "hit".

Sometimes a metal detecting device helps to locate fasteners and therefore, clues as to location of the framing members. Some multi-purpose stud finding devices have this option.

Some homes are not built stick-framed, post and beam for example (4-8'). Some modern homes are built using alternate spacing for joists, some homes don't use dimmensional lumber for joists, but use i-joists for example, or use alternate spacing (approx 19"). Older homes might be 24" spacing

If you have penetrations in the flooring somewhere (for example a floor register, vent, etc.) you might look there for some clues about the structure of the floor. If the "squeaking" is caused by movement in the structural superstructure of the floor such as a cracked joist, broken ledger, etc. - the break-off squeak nomore screws aren't necessarily going to solve "the problem".

Thanks for the responses.

Looks like it's time to pull the carpet. Too many might be's and could be's here.

Thanks again

I can see it now. Poor Bob will be tellling us he ripped up the whole floor and put a new subfloor down. I have learned to live with my "squeaks" because I just as frustrated. Good luck Bob and let us know how you make out. John