+ Reply to Thread

Thread: cold radiators

Angry cold radiators

I have a couple of questions that I am sure have been asked before, so i apolagize in advance

my daughter has steam radiators and only half of the runs are heating up, the rest are cold, she was told to drian the radiators but I have always been told to never drain the radiators. if they need to be drained pls advise how to do this correctly.

also what are the chances of changing the valves to ones that are adjustable without breaking one? they seem to have been on for a long time

thanks for any help

Default Re: cold radiators

try this site: http://www.heatinghelp.com

First thing I'd check is that the airvents are operating properly, and not clogged.

JoeD:

Are you sure your daughter has STEAM???

Your post seems to infer the rads contain water, which would make it a hot water system.

Please post back.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
    I have a couple of questions that I am sure have been asked before, so i apolagize in advance

my daughter has steam radiators and only half of the runs are heating up, the rest are cold, she was told to drian the radiators but I have always been told to never drain the radiators. if they need to be drained pls advise how to do this correctly.

also what are the chances of changing the valves to ones that are adjustable without breaking one? they seem to have been on for a long time

thanks for any help

I assume you are sure these are Steam Radiators. Steam radiators are generally not drained...so just want to be sure.

This is likely the result of
    (a) your vents are clogged and need to be either cleaned or replaced. This is fairly easy task...I believe there is a "how-to" video on this site, which will walk you through it. If you replace with an adjustable vent, make sure it stays open completely -- set at the highest number.

(b) This steam radiator is the last radiator on your steam system. That means the boiler might be shutting off before enough steam is generated to make it to your daughter's room. You might be able to fix this by installed adjustable vents in each of the rooms of the home and reducing their settings until your daughters room is warmed regularly.

(c) The boiler is shutting off early -- or at least before your daughter's room is warmed. This can be explained by (b) above, or also by having a thermostat improperly positioned, a problem with your boiler (i.e. water levels), etc.

The above assumes you do not have problems with your entire heating system...just your daughter's room. Also, there is likely no problem with the valve itself...but you can check this as well. Just unscrew it and look to see that the gasket is in good condition and nothing is rusted shut.

Best of luck!