+ Reply to Thread

Default Fiber type for home use? and other wiring questions

I'm about to pull a lot of cables between a panel and sub-panel, both of which I want to use as distribution points for all my low voltage wiring too to make future runs easier.

So, is there a fiber type that is becoming the one of choice for home use?

I don't know a lot about security systems, but is there some wire type I can run between the 2 spots to make both useable for a distribution of a security system?

those are the 2 main questions right now, thank you

Default Re: Fiber type for home use? and other wiring questions

ive never heard of using fiber in homes. with that said i never wire homes, only big factories. I can only assume its gonna cost alot of money. not so much for the fiber, but for the interface where the fiber lands. Since im not well versed in this your best thing to do would call an electrician in your area, not just any electrican. Call one who specializes in security systems and low voltage systems for home use. get their opinion and quotes.

Who knows what the future will bring. I would suggest running conduit with pull strings for later updates. You may not need any new wiring as more and more electronics are going wireless.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

All local type fibers degrade with age. Most would be useless in about 10 years. I think that running conduits with pull strings is the best idea. Run the fiber when actually needed and be able to replace it when it stops working.

Currently, 62.5/125 graded index is the most commonly used with 50/125 graded index also popular.