+ Reply to Thread

Default Roof Dormer Question

Hi,
    About a year ago, I bought a small 1.5 story home in Southern new england that had a slight 'L' shape to the footprint, there's about 2 feet to the leg of that L.
    On the roof level, there's a full width Gable (i think) that extends off the roof covering that 2 foot by16 foot extension.
    The main part of the second floor has crawl space that actually leads to an opening that lets me inside this space.
    I measured roughly & i think I could get an additional 6 foot by 8 foot space available to my 2nd floor if I could figure out how to re-frame it.
    I don't want to have to take the whole thing off, as the roof was recently redone before I bought the house.
    Unfortunatly, the main part of the roof was framed with Rafters & the roof of this extra space almost seems like it was 'dummied' on top. I.e. its setting on the planking over the rafters. No Ridge header exists's, etc.

What I'm asking this old houser's is if I could work with it that way, cutting out some of the rafter's to make an opening; after trippling up the end rafters & cross bracing as I've seen diagrammed in many places.

Or should i take off the entire existing structure, openning up the new roof & do work that way?
    I know pictures speak a thousand words, so if anyone wants some of the specific's, let me know & I will try to get some.

Default Re: Roof Dormer Question

If the gable is an overlay, it is as you surmised; you can't reclaim that area without fully reframing the valleys and gable. It's a thankless job for a few square feet of attic. Tp put in real valleys you will need to open up the adjacent part of the main roof all the way to the ridge. It would be best to get a structural engineer to sign off on such a modification. Make sure the new ridge is properly supported; which becomes more complicated if it is lower than the main ridge. Etc.
    S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Default Re: Roof Dormer Question

By open up the main roof, do you mean cut out the planking that the 'dormer' is built on top of?
    I will have to find a structural engineer to look this over.
    That sound's expensive.
    Too expensive for something that could have been built right in the first place.