+ Reply to Thread

Default Looking for advice on gas logs and fireplace

I'm looking for a bit of advice on gas logs, etc. Currently, I have a wood burning fireplace with a gas starter (natural gas). So, I have a "key" in the floor next to the fireplace that I can turn on, and then I use a lighter to get a flame from the gas pipe in the fireplace. Which then burns the wood. I have only used it once since I bought this house 4 years ago (my first house!). I am interested in maybe using it more, but it seems like most homes that use a wood burning fireplace have that burnt smell that I do not want. Also, I live in Charlotte, NC and our weather isn't that bad in the winter.

So, I am interested in turning it into a fireplace with gas logs, and then, I really only anticipate using it for emergencies (say if we have a bad ice storm, lose power, etc.) or once in a while because, hey, who doesn't love a fire?

So, I went to the fireplace store where I thought I could get a little advice and was unsuccessful. The person I spoke with told me that even though I said I burn wood, that the age of my house (built 1989ish) tells him I probably have a pre-fab firebox that couldn't handle the heat?! (I went home to take photos to bring back so I could get a better opinion, and I could link to them if it would help)

I thought some people on the message boards here might have practical experience that I could draw on. My questions are:

With today's gas logs, it seems most have remote controls-- would I still be able to use the key in the floor to turn on the gas, so I am not paying for the pilot light every month, and so I could turn it on with no electricity?

Do gas logs actually provide enough heat to heat a room in case of a power outage?

Typically, do you still use the vent and flue in the chimney and therefore get a draft?

Thanks in advance for any experiences, suggestions, etc. as you can probably tell, I am a total novice.

Default Re: Looking for advice on gas logs and fireplace

I have a vent-less gas log set. The flue is sealed. It has a thermostatically controlled temperature setting , and you can turn it completely off including pilot light if you want. It's rated at 100,000 BTU (the same as our furnace). No remote control. I live in the country and we sometimes loose electricity for many days during and ice storm and it uses no electricity.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb