Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Question Bathroom sink faucet replacements for 1950's sink

    My house was built in 1950. The plumber told me to buy a new faucet assembly for the 1950 Crane built-in bathroom sink, but it turned out that the new fittings are a larger size than the old sink was designed for. Now I have a sink that doesn't work at all. The undermount sink surround is ceramic tile, with a complete built-in vanity tiled-top adjacent, which the plumber suggested pulling out, all for a new faucet. We don't want to do this, but to preserve the 1950's tiled bathroom. Suggestions?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Bathroom sink faucet replacements for 1950's sink

    I would begin by doing a search on Ebay for a replacement faucet. With as many folks tearing out those old 1950's bathrooms you may be surprised as to the availability of what you need at probably a reasonable price. If nothing surfaces on Ebay you can search the internet for plumbing salvage sites that specialize in selling older used fixtures.
    Last but not least there are a world of ****** faucet companies many of which offer exceptional customer service in assisting their customers in finding hard to replace faucets. Get your measurements as to hole size and spand and do some google research. If you want a specific reference for one of these contact me direct and I would be glad to help. I avoid trying to be commercial in my postings unless specifically asked.
    I hope all of this helps.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Pacific Northwet

    Default Re: Bathroom sink faucet replacements for 1950's sink

    I recently heard that Crane has gone out of business. Don't know if that's true or not. Unfortunately, the sinks they are used in are often designed to accept only that particular Crane faucet. Most modern faucets and sinks are based on a standard, 4" or 8" spread (the distance between the centers of the handles).

    Crane faucets are some of the earliest to use the replaceable cartridge concept. If the faucet still looks good, you should be able to pull out the old cartridges and replace them, or at least replace the washers to rebuild the cartridge. I've found the replacement cartridges at my local plumbing supply store, and it seems like I might've seen them at Home Depot, too.

    You might need a handle puller and some penetrating oil to remove the handle; quite often they will be corroded and bind onto the stem.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts