+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Attractive Electric Meter Box/Base????

I have spent the last hour searching the internet for an electric meter box/base that was not some ugly, gray, square metal box. I found that back in 2001 someone designed what they called the Wattbug, but I can't find any photos and no one seemed to turn that into a commercial product.

So here's my question for everyone. There's got to be an attractive meter box out there somewhere. Where is it and who makes it?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Joe

Default Re: Attractive Electric Meter Box/Base????

In most jurisdictions the meter base either belongs to or is specified by the utility company so you really don't have a choice.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    In most jurisdictions the meter base either belongs to or is specified by the utility company so you really don't have a choice.
    Jack
    While that may be true, if there were an attractive option, one could certainly petition the electric company to add it to its approved base list. I have found several electric utilities with a list of many approved bases. They're just all appallingly ugly!

I don't mind the meter so much as the exposed panel. Not quite sure why they insist on putting the important parts of your service out in the middle of God and everyone to have access to. My last house had the panel broken into, even though it was padlocked.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Edge, I think you just have the wrong attitude. Keep saying to yourself "Gray is beautiful, Gray is beautiful", you'll come around.
    Jack

Fighting the electric company is similar to fighting city hall. The bureaucracy is at least as entrenched.
    About the only hope you have is locating the meter somewhere unobtrusive and even that can be a fight.
    When the box or pipe begins to rust a bit & you decide to paint it a nice matching grey, you're liable to get a notice about not defacing or altering the equipment under penalty of law.

Jack
    Every time I install one of those ugly Grey meter bases it puts food on my table. I think they look pretty darn good....

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie_Fergler View Post
    Every time I install one of those ugly Grey meter bases it puts food on my table. I think they look pretty darn good....
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    Jack

You ARE allowed to paint them another color, you know. Just not before inspection; the inspector needs to be able to see the markings on the conduit.

The most "attractive" are the recessed ones where the feed conduit is inside the wall.

Another alternative (more practical in a rural area) is to use a pedestal meter next to the transformer, or if overhead, on a pole away from the house. In some cases where you have the meter set away from the house, the utility will use a CT meter, which doesn't need the main wires going through the meter, and therefore the meter can be smaller. The catch is that there needs to be a box in the vicinity for the current transformers which feed the meter.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    Jack
    My last meter base/service installation was a 400 amp 3/phase commercial setup. Boy did that put the steak & potatoes on the supper plate.