+ Reply to Thread

Smile Chalkboard questions

We have a large chalkboard that runs the length of one wall in our finished basement. It is about 4' tall. I had originally thought I would re-paint it with chalkboard paint but am now thinking I would rather just paint it to blend in with the rest of the room.

Does anyone know how I can do this? Do I need to prime with and oil-based primer first and then paint with Latex paint?

Also - if I do this and want a smaller chalkboard in the future can I sand down a section of the original chalkboard area and paint with chalkboard paint? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Chalkboard questions

Since chalkboard paint is essentially an extremely flat-sheened (and durable) paint, I would think that any paint you put over it will stick very well. The purpose of primer is to firmly bond to the surface and provide a uniform "tooth" for the finish coat to adhere to. Just be sure to clean the chalkboard well, first.

As always, try a small area first and see what kind of results you get.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.