+ Reply to Thread

Default Anyone know what kind of tools these are?

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-002L-1.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	2011   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-003L-1.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	2012  

Default Re: Anyone know what kind of tools these are?

Quote Originally Posted by kenclyde View Post
    Thanks.
    The brass colored one looks to me like a plumb bob. If there's a small hole in that ribbed-edge insert on top....then the odds go up for a plumb bob.

I can't place the other one at the moment. Looks somewhat familiar, but.........

Thanks, ****, a PB was my first thought too, but turns out I did get an ID on it and it's a trammel point I believe, something used to scribe circles. No idea how they work.

Still need an ID on the first item.

Ha! Trammel point it is then. I have a couple different sets of those. (Does the other side show the clamping mechanism?)

Here's an explanation - http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/b...Point-Set.HTML

Basically allows you to create/mark-out any size circle/arc you need....within reason, of course. (You'd clamp the points on a stick of square-edged wood or similar & then adjust the points to the desired diameter you need. There are also trammels designed to be used on a round stick or length of dowel rod.)

PS- Is there a name on that trammel point? Such as Stanley, Bailey or Sargent perhaps?
    Last edited by goldhiller; 01-12-2009 at 10:31 PM.

first one looks like a tool used to made a dimple in a structural pipe so you can fit it into a structural pipe fitting, and secure it.

They aren't mine, but I believe it does show the clamping mechanism. Interesting on how they work, I've never even heard of one, much less know how they work..

Blue, that's a very good guess, I hadn't thought about that and it could very well be what you say.

I just invited the owner here to take a look at the ideas.

Thanks again.

ken,

It occurs to me........if there is no clamping mech on the flip side of that device, but there is a small hole in the center of the threaded top......it is likely a plumb bob and *may* even be a dual-purpose carpenter's tool. I vaguely remember seeing one of what I describe (my grandfather's IIRC) which served as both a plumb bob and a scribe (a tool used, for instance, to make a mark along side of a sqaure or similar....rather than a pencil.) This would explain the shaped sides of the device; so that it better fits the fingers holding it.

I wonder if the silver one is a nut cracker.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    I wonder if the silver one is a nut cracker.
    Jack
    Maybe so.

I wish there was a tape or something lying beside these critters so we could get a better idea of scale/size.

Me *thinks* there's a functional reason that the silver device has that area of reduced size directly below where the screw aligns. Dang it. This thing looks familiar but me brain can't yank it outta the gray-matter library. Argh.