+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Help with my 100 yr. old home's wiring

Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost View Post
    Just to clarify, you don't have to solder K&T *IF* the joint is in an accessible junction box with a proper c0ver.

Heat-shrink tubing (properly rated for the voltage, of course) is an excellent method of protecting wires with brittle insulation. You can try taping, but in my experience tape doesn't stick well to the old rubber-and-cloth covered wires.
    You are correct, NEC 394.56 states "splices shall be soldered unless approved splicing devices are used" and wire nuts are approved splicing devices if used in a box w/cover.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    You are correct, NEC 394.56 states "splices shall be soldered unless approved splicing devices are used" and wire nuts are approved splicing devices if used in a box w/cover.
    Jack

If we assume that the unammended NEC is the ruling code for his local authority (which is rarely the case).

Then....NO, not necessarily, not unless the AUTHORITY having Jurisdiction has approved the use of another splicing device AND that its use is approved without requiring the K&T be soldered.

394.56 Splices and Taps. Splices shall be soldered unless approvedsplicing devices are used. In-line or strain splices shall not be used.

Article 100 Part I General (definitions)
    Approved. Acceptable to the authority having jurisdiction.

So one must ASK of the Authority Having Jurisdiction (your local code inspector).

But the OP has many more other issues - cable with individual conductors running free in the wall, lack of boxes at switch locations - scorching evidence, unsecured wiring, etc. And many jurisdictions who have adopted the NEC have done so with ammendments, oftentimes their ammendments include changes in language in Artlice 394.

The original poster may find this well written article complete with diagrams and descriptions on K&T splices helpful. Here is a link to the adobe version:
    http://www.markhellerelectric.com/wusplice.pdf

Besides wire nuts being approved for in box connections, outside of boxes, other than solder connections, the only other approved splicing device for K&T that I know of is the split nut splice but its seldom seen because it's not as reliable over time and more costly.

I should also point out that connections to screw terminals on switches and fixtures is not covered by these rules because they are terminations not splices.
    Jack

I got a question for you guys, "How is K/T laid out in a 2 story house? My house was built in 1914. Is the wires run accross the 2 floor or up from the basement in the walls. I have 3 3 way lights two on the first floor and one on the 2nd floor. How you you know where to cut hoses in the walls and ceil to find these wires?

Kim

Kim that's a tough question. I've seen K&T installed with the neutral going up one side of the house and the hot running up the other side of the house with taps going in from both sides to the fixture. Often you will find that some switches control the hot and others control the neutral feed to a light. There are several ways a 3-way can be wired in old K&T one of which switches both the hot and neutral with the different configurations of the switches.
    Jack