+ Reply to Thread

Default Hate the double bridal staircase...Can I change it?

He have a great opportunity to purchase a house on a lake in our community. It needs a ton of tlc which I am okay with but I hate the double bridal staircase in the foyer. It is just NOT our style. Am I completely crazy or can we take it out and but a new staircase in? Anyone have a ballpark on what something like that would cost?

Thanks for your help.

Default Re: Hate the double bridal staircase...Can I change it?

everyone has their own taste, and yes they could be taken out and replaced with a single staircase. but as far as ballpark figures that would depend upon what all would be involved in removal as well as how ornate you wanted to be with the new one going in. do an ****** search and you should be able to find companies who specalize in stairs. it is an art form all its own.

I have to ask what is it about the house you love, other than location, when you want to change one of its principle design characteristics?
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Well I do have to say location is the key factor here but the house is very large and more space is what we were really looking for. It has a great floor plan on the first floor and a huge finished basement. The second floor is not exactly ideal but with some modifications I think it could be quiet nice.

The home is in need of major remodeling inside and major rehab on the exterior. The exterior is dryvit and needs to go. The home has been neglected for atleast 10 years. The home is only 18 or 19 years old but no upkeep or updating during that time.

Price is another factor. We may be able to buy the house at a very low price.

I just really hate the staircase. It just does not fit our personalities or livestyles. I know with remodeling and updating we could make the house "ours" but I just wasn't sure if we could re-do the staircase.

Our taste is much more Arts and Crafts or Bungalow style than formal bridal stair.

OK, just curios. A custom staircase is very expensive and could easily cost $25,000 up. A competent carpenter could build in place one for significantly less if it is just a straight run. With a little education it is doable by a DIYer. You would probably save quite a bit if you can do the demo yourself. You might even consider selling salvage rights to the old stair case and save yourself demo and removal costs and put a little cash in the bank for the rest of the work.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks for the information and advice. It is very helpful. I was figuring anywhere from 25,000 to 50,000 depending on material and labor.

Figures we have to find the one house with the fancy formal staircase!

Thanks again.