+ Reply to Thread

Default Need some help venting fireplace

I'd like to install a directvent fireplace in my townhome. There is no association fee so im free to do what i want. The corner of the room is where i want to put it. On the other side is where I havea prefab chimney where an existing vent for my furnace is. There was an option to run another vent for a fireplace when it was built but the previous owner did not run it so I was thinking of just running the vent thru the chimney and out the back. I don't know what the codes are but I have some pics of what im talking about. The sliding glass door is 3 1/2 feet away from the chimney, and the deck above the opening is 8 feet.

Default Re: Need some help venting fireplace

Quote Originally Posted by mustang_52 View Post
    I'd like to install a directvent fireplace in my townhome. There is no association fee so im free to do what i want. The corner of the room is where i want to put it. On the other side is where I havea prefab chimney where an existing vent for my furnace is. There was an option to run another vent for a fireplace when it was built but the previous owner did not run it so I was thinking of just running the vent thru the chimney and out the back. I don't know what the codes are but I have some pics of what im talking about. The sliding glass door is 3 1/2 feet away from the chimney, and the deck above the opening is 8 feet.
    I suggest you find out what the codes are. Contact your local building office and inquire. You have a covered patio in the picture and an intersection of walls this too will likely limit your venting/exaust placement in addition to other systems, compromising the chimney, and relationship to doors and windows. Many areas have restrictions as to what is placed or viewable from the front/street side of a home, looks like a street view from the window in the picture.
    Last edited by Blue RidgeParkway; 01-11-2009 at 11:20 AM.