+ Reply to Thread

Default SigmundFraud.Org

Although the original thread was well intended, it promoted the parent organization from which some of the various subsequent articles will originate. Accordingly, and keeping with a non-commercial, peer-to-peer and community-based theme, I deleted this thread.
    Last edited by SigmundFraudOrg; 10-13-2010 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Thread deleted

Default Re: SigmundFraud.Org

Quote Originally Posted by SigmundFraudOrg View Post
    To be continued ...
    Oh goody, more spam ...
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Oh goody, more spam ...
    Mr. Spruce, I respect your TOH seniority, and I appreciate being noticed. However, I believe the post are thematic and materially contribute; they unambiguously address "an inconvenient truth:" home improvement fraud. And that includes fraud committed by those on both sides of the saw horse (home owners and contractors). Moreover, when it happens, many homeowners become emotionally overwhelmed; then they get frustrated, and ultimately exhausted. Whereupon, they frequently give up and do not follow-up. Recourse awareness can help to resuscitate an exhausted home owner. And recourse options help relieve frustration; knowing you can do something is empowering. To that end, SigmundFraudOrg's TOH postings increase recourse awareness and inform.//
    Thanks, Bruce
    Last edited by SigmundFraudOrg; 10-06-2010 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Added salutation

Actually, I believe it is little more than a monotonous and immeasurable self promotion.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Mr McDaniel, Ouch! Criticism noted. As Editor-in-chief, I intended for the original post to be introductory, given the sincere mission of the underlying and emerging non-profit organization. And I've spent the last few years researching and evaluating various altruistic endeavors. To wit, on March 1, 2010, and
    January 7, 2009, respectively, TOH published the following articles (see Home/ Products & Tools/ Blog: Hardware Isle). To read the entire articles, use the aforementioned string, or search "Fraud;" ironically, they are one and two of only two such articles found.

Blog Posts
    More scammers, less catchers. So be on the alert
    So when the economy did it's tailspin, scammers trying to make a quick buck came out of the woodwork. ... many states are cutting back on their fraud-fighting bureaus due to budget cuts, according to the Coalition Against Insurance Fraud. I even read here that Arizona may lose it's unit completely, to become the tenth state with no dedicated anti-fraud division.

Blog Posts
    Louisiana sociologists looking for scam victims
    Here at This Old House, we think that the frauds who besmirch the name of good contractors and take advantage of innocent homeowners are pretty despicable. It's an unfortunately too-common practice, however, for con artists to take money for repair and remodel jobs that they'll never do (or will do in a very slip-shod manner) from people who aren't on the lookout for their schemes. Disgustingly, this is particularly popular in disaster areas where people in need are more easily swindled out of their hard-earned cash. It's been a big problem in Baton Rouge, LA and the surrounding areas. That's why sociologists from Louisiana State University are asking for people from the area to come forward with their tales. If you're from Louisiana and believe you've been a victim of a scam, please go here to fill out their survey. And for everyone, before you hire a contractor, please make sure to read these articles on how to spot a con, what lines to look out for, and how to hire a pro.

Accordingly, I believed TOH might appreciate an up-and-coming anti-fraud advocate. That said, I would appreciate it if you would reconsider your opinion, or at least grant me a provisional pardon; because I would like to ask for your help. I have read many of the senior post, and your Dream Team is a wealth of knowledge and apparent experience; and it is a prized and respected tool [but not the way kids mean it [humor)].

Moreover, I agree: "It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself.." - Ralph Waldo Emerson And I don't think Mr Emerson meant that sincerely helping others is self-serving/ promoting. Thanks, Bruce

Addendum: After an abundance of further consideration, I want to respectfully add that before posting on TOH, I carefully explored the website. And I have since reconsidered that, perhaps, SigmundFraudOrg was a misshelved item. However, and although, the previously mentioned fraud articles were found in The Hardware Isle, the editors at TOH are the contributors, and they maintained the isle. The appropriate venue appeared be community based: Give & Get Advice/ Popular Discussions/ Your Home/ Home & Real Estate/ "Let the This Old House community help you with tips on managing your home. Discuss working with contractors, remodels & relationships, real estate and money matters." Moreover, I carefully review many of the posted articles, and, voila!, it seemed fit. But if the community feels differently, I will readily acquiesce. PS (Re Allowance Rates) My ten year old does not receive a periodic allowance; he is a oral contract piecemeal worker; and he is paid based on time and materials. Thank, Bruce

Bruce, this site is about getting and giving help. The problem I see with you posts is not the information but the presentation. As an "editor and chief" you should know that a 600 word essay to express a 100 word point is counter productive. Most people will grow rapidly bored and will not finish the article thus missing the point you are trying to purvey.
    Another point, even if someone asks for a recommendation of a vendor or supplier in their area, one needs to be cautious, because one bad experience with that vendor by another person reflects poorly on your judgment. This is also not a site to do free advertising.

Jack

One other point. When you provide names, phone numbers, and web sites not specifically requested, your post falls under the heading of spam and could very likely be deleted.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Bruce, this site is about getting and giving help. The problem I see with you posts is not the information but the presentation. As an "editor and chief" you should know that a 600 word essay to express a 100 word point is counter productive. Most people will grow rapidly bored and will not finish the article thus missing the point you are trying to purvey.
    Another point, even if someone asks for a recommendation of a vendor or supplier in their area, one needs to be cautious, because one bad experience with that vendor by another person reflects poorly on your judgment. This is also not a site to do free advertising.

Jack
    On point, and well taken. Thanks. I'll rethink presentation; too much to read is tiring. Given the audience, perhaps an abstract/ synopsis would read better. And it forces me to rethink readership. Re recommendations: they are simply meant to be educational and refreshing essays (cf anecdotes). Tks again, Bruce

PS Purvey, nice word; and if you don't already know the definition of the word peruse, for fun, (re)look it up. Most people misuse it.
    Hidden Content // Editor-in-chief