+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Getting into the industry.

Hi - I would like to change careers and get into the construction, plumbing or electrical industry and I am seeking advice on the best way to go about getting my "foot in the door".

I have basic carpentry, plumbing and electrical skills and I live in the Knoxville, TN area.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Getting into the industry.

Pick one and go down to the local union office and apply for an apprenticeship opening.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

You don't need to be union.
    Look in the classifieds to see who may be hiring and decide which field most interests you.
    I went to this school. The MI chapter.
    http://www.abc.org/wmspage.cfm?parm1=2148
    Good luck!

I live in the tampabay area in florida and have 2 yrs electrical experience in basic wiring, and lighting. I like to get back into the field as a part timer, but dont know if anyone would hire me for strictly weekend work or not.
    I like to do just home service work.
    any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by EdwinLott View Post
    Hi - I would like to change careers and get into the construction, plumbing or electrical industry and I am seeking advice on the best way to go about getting my "foot in the door".

I have basic carpentry, plumbing and electrical skills and I live in the Knoxville, TN area.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I think you need to talk about yourself here a little more.
    How old are you..how much experiance..why do you want to do construction etc etc.
    Construction is a pretty broad field with different variables attached to each one.
    First, no matter what you do you should absolutly love it.
    That would be my first consideration...after that there's no stopping you.

Apprentice with a very small company. Maybe on a crew of three people and no matter how they treat you, you'll get a taste of the real world of construction. Preferably a crew of nice people would be ideal but even a bunch of a-holes will prime you for what you "may" be in for and thats no different in any trade/career.

Read all the trade publications from Fine Homebuilding to The Journel Of Light Construction etc etc...and stay away from the TV shows that show that its all peaches and cream.

Loving something is key! Everything is fun at first...its down the line that you need to be coincerned about...same as meeting a woman...lol
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

Here im Mass the plumbers need 3 years apprenticeship, but that has rumor to change to 5 years. You should e thinking if you want to take a cut in pay most places start apprentices off at about $24,000 a year.

Smile Re: Getting into the industry.

I spent over 20 years in the Flooring and Floor Covering and the trade always paid well...BUT when you're new at whatever you decide on, expect being treated with very little respect and you will get the crap jobs at first. It's called "paying you're due's". You'll get respect when you earn it! Be diligent and always look for something to do whether its "scrap'in out", cleanup or what ever it takes to stay busy. Employers don't like people who stand around twidling their thumbs.
    I treated my helpers like crap at first to weed out thhe riff raff. To get respect, you earn it. It may take 5 years to get good at it. It's a steep learning curve. Good luck at what you do. Just strive to always do better.

Thumbs up Re: Getting into the industry.

If you want to grow old in the trades you need an apprenticeship. They teach you the therory behind what you are doing so you can trouble shoot and solve problems. I know the electrical apprenticeship I went through was 4 years. I would call your local electrical or Plumbing board and see what are the requirements are to work. Then call around contractors to see who is hiring Non union Labor. If it is Union you can call the union Hall. I would make it fast as this is the time of year they hire for school in the Fall. I have made a great living working as a union electrician and live pretty comfortable. Although now I am in sales of electrical products.
    Harry

I live in SE WI and applied for an electrical apprenticeship when I was in my early 30's and never got in. The market in my area was extremely slow and many electricians were not working or very slow. If there was an opening, the kid right out of high school got the opening since he many more years in him then I did. Or perhaps he had more knowledge than me, but I did feel my age worked against me. I felt it would be carrer I would love, I just didn't realize it until I was older. Guess I will have to keep countin them beans!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric1435 View Post
    I live in SE WI and applied for an electrical apprenticeship when I was in my early 30's and never got in. The market in my area was extremely slow and many electricians were not working or very slow. If there was an opening, the kid right out of high school got the opening since he many more years in him then I did. Or perhaps he had more knowledge than me, but I did feel my age worked against me. I felt it would be carrer I would love, I just didn't realize it until I was older. Guess I will have to keep countin them beans!!
    Eric you were probably right typically they use 29 as a cut off point. But also the driving point is the market at the time of picking the apprentice(How much work is available in the area) But now days I have been told most kids that see the apprenticeship at 5 years rather go to college. So there are at lot more slots available to the older applicants.
    Harry