+ Reply to Thread

Default Subfloor and tile

I had a small leak from my shower that allowed water to run in between my tiled floor and the subfloor. There are rotted out spots on the subfloor, maybe the size of a basketball. I have an unfinished basement so I can see the underside of the subfloor. Because of the dampness of the wood I have a nest of carpenter ants between the tile and subfloor. Is it possible to remove the rotten portions of the subfloor without removing the tile above it?

Default Re: Subfloor and tile

Quote Originally Posted by brianf View Post
    I had a small leak from my shower that allowed water to run in between my tiled floor and the subfloor. There are rotted out spots on the subfloor, maybe the size of a basketball. I have an unfinished basement so I can see the underside of the subfloor. Because of the dampness of the wood I have a nest of carpenter ants between the tile and subfloor. Is it possible to remove the rotten portions of the subfloor without removing the tile above it?
    Not likely --- especially if the tile and underlying membrane or substrate is adhered to the subfloor. Even if there were some sort of "pan" once you remove the subfloor from underneath the weight of the tiles would shift down --- causing cracks in the tiled floor.

I know it's not what you want to hear -- but -- to me it sounds as though the floor tiles and likely the bottom row of walls tiles will need to be removed for the repairs.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

You're right. Definitely not what I wanted to hear. Thanks for the advice.

just as canuk says, your better off taking up a section of tile which goes about a foot or two past the bad section, clean out the grout at perimeter of the bad section then smash the tiles around the bad area.... only do this if you have more of the tile in this room or can easily find them in a store. otherwise your looking at a complete replacement of hte floor or trying to come up with some sort of pattern that will make the floor look like it was always there
    fire up the saw and make some dust