+ Reply to Thread

Default Huge moisture problem in my garage

North East Ohio Ė Cleveland area - we get a lot of snow in winter and rain in the Spring.

What:
    Two car detached garage built around 1959 Ė Not heated but I have an electric heater that I turn on during the winter when Iím working on projects.

Problem:
    I get a lot of moisture in the garage typically in the Spring. Itís so bad that the painted concrete floor becomes slippery and moisture covers almost everything in the garage. It doesnít help that there are no floor drains to get rid of the snow that falls off my car in the winter so water pools in the corners. The previous owner put insulation between the studs on the underside of the roof (no finished ceiling). In the Spring, I sometimes notice a puddle of water a couple of inches in diameter in the center of the garage and it seems to be dripping from the insulation. The isolation is now starting to tear from the staples and is falling down throughout the garage. Also, it looks like there may be mold on some of the paper indicating to me that it has been happening for a long time. Iím fairly curtain the roof of the garage is not leaking being that it looks like it is within 5 years of age and I have no stacks or anything like that on the exterior of the garage roof. Itís a pretty basic roof.

Questions:
    1. Is it OK to attach insulation to the studs on the bottom side of the roof like the previous owners did?
    2. What would you do to fix the problem? Any ideas?
    3. Should I take out the old insulation and not replace it? Should I replace the old insulation with new insulation?

Thank you in advance for your input!

Default Re: Huge moisture problem in my garage

I wanted to add that I don't have eve vents and I wonder if that is part of the problem.

Default Re: Huge moisture problem in my garage

It's almost clear that you have a leak into the garage. Your second problem is your garage floor poor drainage.

First you have to remove all damaged insulation, treat the mold and let it dry out.

Secondly, you must solve the leak problem. Have it inspected when it's dry. Leak evidence will help in finding the source. Get professional help if needed.

Thirdly, how large/deep are the pools of water from the snow off your car? If they won't drain, you'll have to clean them by hand.

Now, to answer your questions:

1. It's not OK to attach new insulation, untill you solve the leak.

2.Without seeing the problem it's hard to suggest. That's why I suggested to remove and clean, then assess the situation.

3. It's OK to remove all old damaged insulation. You don't have to replace it, but you have to stop the leak.

4. A garage has to have some venting.