+ Reply to Thread

Default OUR MOST EMAILED QUESTIONS: What's wrong with my oven?

Appliances just don't seem to be working the way they're supposed to. One reader writes, "My cakes never rise and I follow the instructions on the packages, but nothing ever warms or cooks thoroughly. What's wrong with the oven?"

Give us your two cents here.

Default Re: OUR MOST EMAILED QUESTIONS: What's wrong with my oven?

If it's electric-make sure the top & bottom elements are working. Usually you can see them glow a bit when turned on.
    Get an oven thermometer to see if the temperature is correct.

Most recipes call for a preheated oven, placing the item in the oven before it is preheated requires extra time to cook. Also the location on the shelf can have a large affect.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Just because you set the temperature for the oven doesn't mean that is indeed what the temperature will be.

If you have the common rotary style temperature ( thermostat ) control it may need to be recalibrated.
    You will need to have an oven thermometer placed inside with the oven set for 350 degrees F.
    Compare the reading of the thermometer and make adjustments to the thermostat control as needed.

Depending on the type of thermostat control it may be as simple as removing the rotary knob and turning a screw within the hollow shaft.

Also clean the thermal probe ( capillary tube ) that's located inside the oven.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Something else to consider is your location-at high altitudes or in humid conditions baking recipes have to be altered to work properly- so your oven may not be the issue. As others note the oven is easy enough to check out.

Happy baking from the used-to-be King of scratch made biscuits

Unless specifically directed to start with a cold oven the oven needs to be preheated.

Get a remote probe oven thermometer (~ $20 at a box store) because the oven temp needs read with the oven door closed and after the oven temperature stabilized. I tried using in oven dial thermometers but the reading dropped while I was reading it so I was never really sure what the true temperature was.

Not only do you want to see the stabilized temperature but you'll also want to observe what happens inside the oven after the door has been opened and closed.

The oven in my commercial range was at least 25 degrees hotter than the dial, and the jets could be heard opening full bore when the oven door opened. The oven being too hot and the inrush of heat caused a few problems.

ummmmm, that question is 3 years old

Quote Originally Posted by MLB Construction View Post
    ummmmm, that question is 3 years old
    ...But the problems with ovens and baking/cooking are always new.
    When the chef fails...it's always the oven's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    ...But the problems with ovens and baking/cooking are always new.
    When the chef fails...it's always the oven's fault.
    Then I must have a REALLY bad oven!

I specialize in survival cooking, because if you can survive my cooking then you can survive anything.

Phil