+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Frozen paint

Hybrid View

Question Frozen paint

My husband forgot we had paint in the garage. It is unheated and we live in Maine. Is there any possible way to save the water based interior latex "Valspar"? I am thinking it needs to go to the toxic waste disposal and start over. But, I thought I would ask before buying more. Thanks.

Default Re: Frozen paint

Howdy when ya open the can the paint will tell ya not to use it/ curtailed or separated anything but good.
    Hope it was a little paint...

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Miller View Post
    Howdy when ya open the can the paint will tell ya not to use it/ curtailed or separated anything but good.
    Hope it was a little paint...
    Curtailed paint? What is curtailed paint?

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    i think kurdled is what she meant, like kurdled milk on coffee when it gets cold, that thin layer on top
    Ah, I have understood curtailed as to mean cut short. She may have meant something else, I see.

Kind of like cottage cheese?

I would not like to paint with cottage cheese........ That would be very lumpy.

Howdy i spell so bad that i even confuse spell check.
    cottage cheese is the heavy texture in a paint can i was referring too. wouldn't paint with it .

Default Re: A Useful Way

Quote Originally Posted by ghij641 View Post
    Jack, why do you drink so much water?
    Good question....... Probably because I drink so much Jack.

I did my own "research" on this: I knocked on the door or my next door neighbor who is a retired professional painter. He says that, when LATEX (water-based) paint freezes, a chemical reaction takes place that affects the ability of that paint to adhere, or stick to, the surface you are applying it to. Simply put, if you use a LATEX paint that has been through one or more freeze/thaw cycles, it might start to flake off a year or so later and cause you to do the whole job all over again. My friend advises that, if you have ANY paint of questionable quality, dispose of it properly instead of using it and taking a chance that it might be good. It isn't worth all the aggravation later.
    Last edited by Tombuck2000; 03-15-2010 at 12:32 AM. Reason: had to add some missing words