+ Reply to Thread

Default Our Fireplace Needs a Makeover!!!

I am attaching an image of the fireplace in our family room and my idea for it's remodel. We are going to update the room with panel molding and a new paint job, ceiling fan and laminate floor. Our house is a Georgian Colonial and we are going to endeavor to match it's style with the improvements. I think that the fireplace does not match the style of the house and is too big for the room which is 15' x 20'. The picture shows that it takes up much of the shortest wall. I hate the ugly brick so am wanting to do a combination of painted mantel/surround and tile. My question is: does the size of the fireplace fit the scale of the room? Should we just cover it the way it is or knock it down and start over? I welcome all suggestions. As you can see the room is very uninspiring right now and I am ready to get busy! Thanks, Carol in WV
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fireplace.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	1993   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mantel-makeover-1.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	1994  

Default Re: Our Fireplace Needs a Makeover!!!

Carole, one of the things that makes the fireplace so large and intrusive is the raised hearth. If you want to redo so it matches the other picture with the floor level hearth it will require that tear out the existing fire place and start anew. You can't tear out the fireplace with the chimney setting on top so you would have to start at the roof and work you way down. It's a big job, I know because I just went through that last year with a similar fireplace. This is not the job for the faint of heart.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb