+ Reply to Thread

Default painting over stripes

I am trying to paint over stripes (or actually squares) on my child's wall. I cannot seem to fix the edges, anyone with some advice? (oh yea, the wall is textured). Thanks!!

Default Re: painting over stripes

Have you tried to take a light grade sandpaper to the edges to smooth the edge down? I would try a 180 grit or 220 grit. After that, prime the wall if you think needed, then paint with a good quality paint, like Valspar's Medallion. The edges should be eliminated!

Oh, and for the texturing, if it is a knockdown texture, you can buy a small can of that to cover up your sanding. If it is orange peel, you can either spray it on, roll it on, or thin down some spackling compound and roll that on.

Default Re: painting over stripes

Segolf,
    Unfortunately painted stripes leave a ridge of paint which is almost impossible to get rid of by such things as sanding. On smooth walls, these ridges may be spackled over and sanded to blend in. On textured walls, to make them extirely invisible, the entire wall has to be re-sprayed. The textured cans are acceptible for small touch ups, but if you spray the edges of the stripes only, you will have a different texture along the lines which will be noticeable. Professional self-contained texture spray units can be rented from rental centers.