+ Reply to Thread

Default anybody know what this is for

while removing stuff left by previous owner by the water meter i uncovered this. dont have a clue what it is. it's not the floor drain cause it's over by the laundry tub. but whatever it is' it has its own special tool to remove the square plug. i've never seen anything like it before in other basements. anybody know what it is and what it's purpose is for.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2009_0109baement0005.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	1989   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2009_0109baement0003.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	1990  

Default Re: anybody know what this is for

Quote Originally Posted by don_1949 View Post
    while removing stuff left by previous owner by the water meter i uncovered this. dont have a clue what it is. it's not the floor drain cause it's over by the laundry tub. but whatever it is' it has its own special tool to remove the square plug. i've never seen anything like it before in other basements. anybody know what it is and what it's purpose is for.
    Looks like a clean out for your house's main sewer (your waste pipe before it leaves the confines of the foundation).

I am rather curious about that green insulation on the earth ground to your water line though.

It's a cleanout for you wast line.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Yep .... as Jack says it's a clean out access to the main sewer line that exits out from the house to the street. You'll find another at the base of the vertical stack as it enters the concrete floor.
    Forunate for you a previous owner had a key made for the cap.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

ok thank you, hopefully i never have to open it, near the base of the vertical stack there is a small extension capped off. secured by nut and bolt old cast iron pipe, guess thats the other one you refer to. thanks again