+ Reply to Thread

Default Loud noise after toilet is flushed

Hello - We just had our old 3.2 gallon toilet replaced with a new 1.6 gallon toilet. Since then we've heard a weird grinding foghorn noise. The plumber came back and told us that the water pressure reducing valve needed to be replaced and he went ahead and replaced it. Despite that, we still continue to hear the noise and I've also noticed that there is water that drips from the pressure valve during the day - its not a lot of water - but it comes up from the top screw-area. The plumber tried to tighten the Pressure valve and reduced the psi a little more after we told him that it was leaking a little bit - but this did not completely stop the water dripping or the sounds that we continue to hear. We don't hear the sound everytime the toilet is flushed - but we do hear it at least 3 times a day and we've also heard the same sound when the washing machine is turned on. Does anyone know why or how this problem can be fixed?Thanks in advance

Default Re: Loud noise after toilet is flushed

A shut off may be partially closed or have a loose washer.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Rupa324 View Post
    Hello - We just had our old 3.2 gallon toilet replaced with a new 1.6 gallon toilet. Since then we've heard a weird grinding foghorn noise. The plumber came back and told us that the water pressure reducing valve needed to be replaced and he went ahead and replaced it. Despite that, we still continue to hear the noise and I've also noticed that there is water that drips from the pressure valve during the day - its not a lot of water - but it comes up from the top screw-area. The plumber tried to tighten the Pressure valve and reduced the psi a little more after we told him that it was leaking a little bit - but this did not completely stop the water dripping or the sounds that we continue to hear. We don't hear the sound everytime the toilet is flushed - but we do hear it at least 3 times a day and we've also heard the same sound when the washing machine is turned on. Does anyone know why or how this problem can be fixed?Thanks in advance
    Am I reading this right? You've called in a profesional Plumber (not some flunky handyman or plumber wanna-be, and you didn't do this yourself, no it was a real honest to goodness Plumber).

1. You call in The PLUMBER to swap out a toilet, you have no pre-existing problems or complaints. PLUMBER does the toilet swap, thus begins a problem, this fog-horn noise complaint (when fast closing valves close like toilet fill valves and washing machine). Plumber leaves you with new toilet install and a noise problem.
    2. You call back this PLUMBER, to investigate and address the new noise problem, he decides you need a new pressure regulator/reducing valve at the supply, he swaps in one, it leaks, you still have the noise problem you called him about. Plumber leaves you with new toilet, new noise problem, new pressure reducing/regulating valve, and new leak problem.
    3. You call back this same PLUMBER to address the leaking from his faulty pressure valve installation and the continuing noise problem that developed with his toilet installation. Plumber can't get the leaking at the pressure reducing valve to stop, cannot adjust faulty leaking pressure valve and you still have the noise problem that you called him on in the first place (post toilet install) just not as frequent and the PLUMBER leaves? The PLUMBER has left you with three visits, a new toilet, new noise problem, new pressure reducing valve, and new leaks.
    And you're asking us, here, now? But why ask us, you've had a gosh darn real Plumber there three times and he made your situation progressively worse!

Seriously, without more information not going to guess, except that you gotta deal with the LEAK from the supply before you do anything else - risking contamination of your water supply not to mention water damage, and what follows. Not even going to suggest you mess with your shut-off valves - after a supposed PLUMBER couldn't get connections right there to stop leaking - if you do mess with it you could end up breaking what's left of a pipe and have a real mess (and no way to cut it off). Look up the number for your water company and find out when they're open and their emergency number in case you need it (for them to cut off your water at the street if you need then to - if you have an accessible valve outside that doesn't require a special tool to work it, then maybe that's not important).

Meantime get some buckets, catching the leaking water, and to use to manually flush the toilet if you have to (pouring water from bucket into bowl).

Call the Plumber back, or talk to his boss if he's not the owner, call the licensing board and register a complaint on the individual "plumber" and the Plumbing Contractor license. Of course before you did business with this contractor you got a copy of his certificate of insurance or your State handles that through their licensing - and you have the individual's license number who did the work, as well as the Plumbing Contractor license number. Call the insurance company/agent for the plumber, or the state to get the information to file a CLAIM against this plumber for the damages you're suffering and worse could suffer (mold toxic torts, rot, water damage - that can add up liability potential!). If this Plumber is his own boss, file a BBB complaint, complain to your water department, your building department, complain to every body you can think of who might have some type of authority over this plumber and/or work, call your home owner's insurance agent, ask them about it maybe you file a claim, and THEY go after the Plumber and sue him for your water damages! Get referrals from people you feel you can trust for a recomendation for a licensed plumber/contractor, and check them out before you hire them in.

I wonder if this PLUMBER jumped over this leaking new pressure reducing valve, and bonded over for your electric panel's earth ground. Doesn't sound like he did anything right - so I'm doubting it.

I have to agree with JLMcdaniel has to be a partilly closed stop at toilet. Or can be some debris inside flush valve. So far as the PRV I could go into great detail how to fix the problem but you paid to have someone do this for you. I would stop payment on check, call and demand another plumber to come out.

brp is going a bit extreme here. but I would call them again and try to explain your situation to someone else in that company to try to resolve the problem. if that person is an owner operator, then I would call another plumbing company and with out saying the name of the company explain what is happening and see if they come to a different conclusion.