+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: NM 16-4 run next to duct work?

Quote Originally Posted by danjfoley View Post
    actually i'm running 14-2 !!! .. i posted the wrong numbers.. that sure make a difference!

I'm running 120vac to a ceiling light box. Going to have a light with a on/off string on that.
    Yes sure is a difference!

Is it a metal duct? is it fully encased or using part of the wall structure or covering to encase itself?

metal duct, fully enclosed.

what do you mean of NM 16-4??

NM-Nonmetallic, doesn't have metal shielding, today generally refers to Romex cable.

16- 16 AWG, 16 American Wire Gauge, denotes size of conductors

-4 - 4 individual conductors or wires

Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 01-12-2009 at 02:29 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

NM16-4
    NM: Nonmetalic Sheathed Cable, Type NM : A factory assembly of two or more insulated conductors enclosed within an overall nonmetallic jacket.

16: refers to the overall size or gauge of the insulated conductors not identified for use as equipment grounding conductors, in this case 16 awg. In theory the conductors might be stranded or solid wire. NM16 awg is not large enough or to be used on the regular household wiring system. That's why it was first questioned.

-4: refers to the total number of insulated conductors within the cable, excluding those conductors insulated and identified (by the color) for use as grounding conductors, and excluding bare (not insulated) conductors which are for use as grounding conductors.

Generally, Indication of the presence or lack thereof of conductors bare or insulated and identified for use as grounding conductors are made afterward, such as without ground, with ground, usually if referring to older wiring. Unless otherwise indicated on the cable jacket (should be marked at least every 2 feet usually) or is a modern version (such as NM-B with a wiring gauge of 14 or larger) assume lack thereof. modern NM should have an equipment grounding conductor of equal gauge if the conductors are size 14 or larger.

I'm not so sure about offering a photo of 12/4 monster cable/speaker cable with an EZ-strip rip cord qualifies as a fair example.