+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default NM 14-2 run next to duct work?

I want to run a length of about 7 feet of nm 16-4 vertically in a space where there is a hot/cold air duct. The cable will not be inside the duct, but rather beside it.

Is this up to code? If not what type of cable do i need to make the run..

I've already put the NM 16-4 run in there, but don't have any current going thru it yet.

Thanks for your replies.

EDIT: i'm running 14-2 !! not 16-4!
    Last edited by danjfoley; 01-09-2009 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Posted wrong numbers

Default Re: NM 16-4 run next to duct work?

Quote Originally Posted by danjfoley View Post
    I want to run a length of about 7 feet of nm 16-4 vertically in a space where there is a hot/cold air duct. The cable will not be inside the duct, but rather beside it.

Is this up to code? If not what type of cable do i need to make the run..

I've already put the NM 16-4 run in there, but don't have any current going thru it yet.

Thanks for your replies.
    what are you doing (just curious)? and where in the world are you?

120vac 60cycle, USA, here 15 amp circuits need 14 awg minimum; 20 amp circuits need 20 awg minimum. Here can't run a tail more than 6 feet, so wondering what the 7 ft. of 16 awg is for.

With 16/4 I'm guessing you are running low voltage wiring. If so it should be no problem. If you are running 16/4 for 120 vac it might be a problem.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Most wire (well, actually it's the insulation) has a temperature rating. As long as the temperature rating is not exceeded, it should be OK.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost View Post
    Most wire (well, actually it's the insulation) has a temperature rating. As long as the temperature rating is not exceeded, it should be OK.
    If he's running inside a wall and using it for 120 vac or higher the minimum size allowed is 14 ga or larger depending on amperage.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    With 16/4 I'm guessing you are running low voltage wiring. If so it should be no problem.
    Wonder what "it should be no problem" means to Jack.

I'll wait for the original poster to return and respond.

actually i'm running 14-2 !!! .. i posted the wrong numbers.. that sure make a difference!

I'm running 120vac to a ceiling light box. Going to have a light with a on/off string on that.

question, since i'm asking. When i hook up this new wiring to the junction box, which has existing BX wiring going into it, how do i know which wire is hot and which is neutral. They are both just black wires with fuzzy coating. (seems it's the older type bx from what i can gather)

You should have no problem. If I remember correctly the temp. limitation is around 190 degrees F.
    As far as telling which is hot, I use a meter and check voltage to ground. Common should read zero volts and hot should read above 120 vac to ground. You could also use a test light wired to ground, touch connector with other lead, no light =common, light = hot.
    Jack

By the way, I always check with a meter even if the wires are colored. You never know what someone else has done.
    Jack