+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Info on American Foursquare?

I'm so happy I found this thread. I have what some people call a four square but it's not really. I was built in 1936 but I found that it actually seems to be an Aladdin - Standard 1916. This link shows essentially the floor plan of my house execept I have a few differences. http://www.antiquehome.org/House-Pla...n/Standard.htm

It's basically a foursquare without the fourth room. Anyway I'm trying to find either pics or detailed floor plans because the entrance between my living room and dining room is huge which seems a little strange for the time. I'm trying to determine if there were built ins there at one point. Also, right now my house has the small porch (smaller than the one pictured in the link) and would actually like to know if there actually should have been a full porch.

Like everyone else, it's virtually impossible to find any real information. I also want to bring it back to original as much as possible.

Thanks

You are so lucky to have such a beautiful house!! So much style and comfort in it!!! well, I am not sure what you are up to exactly, but I guess some rough plan of it can be found in Wikipedia even...

I have checked out some books from the local library, but have been unable to correctly identify the home we are currently looking at purchasing/renovating. The current owner said that his father built it, and that it is a Sears or Montgomery Ward home. I haven't been able to find what style it fits? It doesn't have any stucco, obviously, but does that mean it is not a foursquare? As far as i can tell that is the best type of description of it.
    Does anyone know, or have a similar home? There are tons of them here in the Plains. This one will be demolished if it is not moved, and as it is in considerably good condition, I hope we can make it work!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3075.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	3655   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3081.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	3656  

Default Re: Info on American Foursquare and Refinishing attic

I am new to this website and excited to find someone who has finished the attic of her American Foursquare. Will you share with me your plans and photos...and costs? We are beginning our lives as grandparents and need space for the growing family. We do like our Foursquare...1927, West Hartford, CT. I hope to hear from you. Thanks, DNC

Quote Originally Posted by cathyka View Post
    We purchase our 1913 foursquare over two years ago and I too went on a search for the perfect historical inspiration. The most valuable info I discovered is that it is a blending of styles. Primarily...
    Frank Lloyd Wright - Prairie architecture and victorian.
    Which is probably why I liked it so much because those are a few of my favorite styles. Plus it means you can be even a bit more creative in your renovations while still keeping in style.

to confetticollette, if you want even more feedback.

Here's what I love about our foursquare.

1. Big Rooms. Yes only four per floor but big.
    2. Use of space. None is wasted.
    3. Windows. Everywhere. On all sides of the house. Let the sunshine in.
    4. The Stairs. They piggy back each other. No small wasted spaces.
    5. Flow. There is a wonderful energy flow in this house.
    6. Big Front Porch. Need I say more.
    7. Hip Roof and Dormers. I just like they way they look.
    8. The mix of prairie and victorian is perfect. The majority of the house is simple clean square without any fussy moldings but it has lovely big bay windows on one side.
    9. Hardwood. Everywhere but the bathrooms.
    10. Big Basement. Big with window. Lots of storage and the perfect messy workspace.
    11. Nice size closets. Rare for an old house. I am sure they were added.

Here's what we have done to make it more fantastic.

1. Refinished the Walk up Attic for a Living Space with tons of storage in the knee walls.

2. Plumbed in a bathroom on the third floor. With cash in hand we will finish that.

Here's what we plan to do to even make super fantastic.

1. Renovate the kitchen. It was done sometime in the eighties with builder grade formica cabinets and a really inefficient design. I think it makes the house sad. We absolutely need to move a few doors in there. The basement stair door will move to the dining area and the bathroom door will move to the back porch. Seeing the toilet from the cooktop is kinda gross.

2. Remodel the small baths. Yes they are small. But that just makes them easy to clean. Just need to be modernized and organized a bit.

3. Refinish all the Hardwoods.

4. Add a portico. Would love this but not sure if we have a property line issue.

There really is nothing I don't love about this house that isn't easily fixed with a few bucks.