+ Reply to Thread

Default OLD bath faucet leaks, but is grouted to the wall

So I just (for the first time) replaced all the rubber components in my 1950 bathroom sink which had leaked. Next the shower/bath, wall mounted original hot and colds. There are two baths, both drip. Upstairs is "fairly" modern having large base metal chrome plated hot and cold handles. After getting a puller to get them off (where welded with calcium to the stem) I realized the only way to get the stem out and replace the washer is to remove the metal cover that sits against the wall. Which is conveniently grouted to the wall tile. How do I remove that without damaging the tile and perhaps the metal component. In the downstairs bath these cup shaped covers are actually porcelain...again grouted to the wall....
    Help
    Please
    Jeremy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shower handle1.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	9.5 KB 
ID:	1997   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	showere handle2.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	8.8 KB 
ID:	1998  
    Last edited by frockman; 01-09-2009 at 03:41 PM.

Default Re: OLD bath faucet leaks, but is grouted to the wall

Look to make sure it is grout. Alot of times plumbers caulk these to the wall for a water tight seal. If it is grout I have taken a small flat screwdriver and on the BOTTEM side of the faucet skirt used as a chisel to start loosening the grout. If it is just caulking a razor knife and a steady hand will work

Default Re: OLD bath faucet leaks, but is grouted to the wall

Ah...at least one of the bathrooms was just really hardened caulk.
    New problem the seats are bad....on both Hot and cold the area around the actual point of contact of the seat is dissolved. I am not sure if the a seat is an insert or if it is cast bronze and part of the whole brass fitting...hoping for the former. WIth the corrosion and discoloration its impossible to tell. I'll see if this is covered somewhere already here.