+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default first time homeowner,please help

I just bought my first home. The house has an old oil furnace and the rooms all have steam radiators. I removed the bathroom radiator and painted it (i had no idea all other radiators will stop working except for one radiator which kept working) now i put back the radiator but no water is running through it; it does not heat up??? any suggestions
    thanks a lot

Default Re: first time homeowner,please help

Are you sure it's not a hot water system rather than steam? If it is hot water you will need to open the bleeder valve to let air excape and water enter. keep the valve open until water comes out.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

i will double check. The bleeder i i will open and release the air, i never knew that what the bleeder was for. Thanks, i will give it a shot and will let you know what happened

You are right, it is hot water. I opened that little thing on top, and kept it open for few hours trying to see water come out of it but no luck. No water. Half of the radiator is warm and half ic cold(little bit on the warm side). What else can i try?

Is the refill valve open on the boiler? It would be on a water line going to the boiler.
    That lets additional water in. If you have a second floor you'll probably have to bleed those too before you're done.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Is the refill valve open on the boiler? It would be on a water line going to the boiler.
    That lets additional water in. If you have a second floor you'll probably have to bleed those too before you're done.
    Jack
    Well, I just bought the house, few weeks ago and have no idea if the refill valve is/was open or closed. I never touched anything, so I am guessing it is open if these valves are usually open or it might be closed if they are usually closed. The house is a cape, it just has the full basement and the first floor; it also has two bedrooms upstairs but they are heated with electric heaters. The radiator in one of the bedrooms and the living room are working, the family room, second bedroom radiators do not work. The bathroom radiator is on the warm/hot side, but just half of it, the half where the water enters the radiator, the other half is cold. Should I try to bleed the other radiators as well??
    your help is much appreciated, thanks a lot.

Originally you said you removed the radiator to paint it, if the fill valve had been open you would have had water running out the whole time the radiator was removed. You should have a small water line, Ĺ" or 3/4" going to the boiler like this the fill valve is by the yellow arrow. Your heat and return lines for the boiler is usually much larger.
    Jack

I did turn off the shut off valve, which is right next to the radiator, on the 3/4" pipe that comes from the basement and I guess brings hot water that is the valve I was referring to. I never touched anything downstairs. What I was thinking was maybe the valve that I turned off, is broken???? I did turn on the valve, but I donít really know if the valve actually turned on, but then again, it must have because half of the radiator is hot. I am going at the house tomorrow and hopefully I can figure out something.... with your help of course.
    I wish my furnace was as new as yours. I think mine is as old as the house, 55 yrs. well maybe not that old, but it looks very old.

Any time you remove water from the system you need to replace it . One thing you might want to do, go to you local big box store or plumbing supply and get automatic radiator air bleeders. You remove the manual one and install the automatic.
    Jack

thanks a lot, i will do that tomorrow. I tried bleeding the radiators, and the one in the bathroom is working. Water started coming out from the bleeder, whihc is a good sign. After i started "bleeding" the other ones i could hear the pipes in the house began circulating water, however, not all radiators are working. Maybe there is not enough pressure and it takes time for the radiators to fill with water??? I dont know.
    But thanks for your help, i think i am on the right track.